New 2 Spot Bristletooth Tang

So I've had this fish for just over 2 weeks. I has yet to even think about touching the nori. It's starting to look quite thin and my tank has no algae on the rocks for it to really eat. What should I do? I've tried cutting the nori up into little pieces and mixing it with the frozen food I add and nothing. I've tried to use the frozen formula 2 veggie food and it wont touch it. It wont even eat mysis, brine, blood worms, marine cuisine, cyclops, etc. When it was fed in the store it hammered mysis. :frustrat: Any advise or suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks!

My Kole Tang wouldn't touch anything for almost 2 months. I finally got it to eat the nori sheet after placing one piece of it in the clip like normal (mostly to distract the other vegetarians in the tank) and using a rubber band to attach a small strip to a piece of rock rubble. I placed the rock just inside his sleeping area just before lights-out and left it there overnight. Since it was "his" spot, the other fishes pretty much left that nori alone. I don't really think he ate any that night, and it was the shrimp and snails that devoured it. However, I repeated this setup every night and eventually, I caught him nibbling at it. Chows down on it every time I put it in the tank now. You can try that if your tang has a dedicated sleeping area that you know about.

Have you tried Emerald Entree frozen food? You can buy it at Petco or Petsmart. I'd start with that. It's a frozen food formulated for herbivores.

I've never tried Emerald Entree, but this is what I use. I'll try the entree and see what's up.

ba11.gif

Oh yeah. Those Ocean Nutrition frozen foods -- those are the gel cubes right? In my experience, fish don't really like those! Try Emerald Entree instead. ;)

Here's what it says online: Extra algae with fresh seafoods make this a gourmet natural food for herbivorous marine and freshwater fish. Developed by aquaculture biologists to duplicate a natural coral reef diet, this formula includes Caulerpa algae, stabilized Vitamin C, and other immune boosters. Excellent for Surgeonfish, Angelfish, Butterfly fish, African Cichlids, Plecostomus, and other algae eaters. 70, 1/2" frozen cubes

Ingredients: Plankton, gel binder, spinach, shrimp, krill, clams, krill hydrolysate, lettuce, peas, sardine meal, salmon egg oil, squid, kelp, lecithin, casein, spirulina, cod liver oil, paprika, vitamins (choline chloride, ascorbic acid including stabilized vitamin C, vitamin E supplement, niacin, thiamin mononitrate, folic acid, calcium pantothenate, riboflavin, menadione sodium bisulfite complex, vitamin A acetate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, vitamin B12 supplement, vitamin D3 supplement, beta-carotene supplement, biotin), amino acids (dl-methionine, taurine, lysine) and trace elements of manganese sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, and sodium selenite.

Yeah -- they contain gel binder. That's what I mean. They are solid cubes. They don't break apart in the water like other frozen foods do.

Last night I soaked the nori in garlic to see if it would spark some interest and nothing. I'll rubberbanding it on a rock and see if that works. Thanks for all the ideas!

Just an update to let everyone know that this fish did not make it. I'm still yet to recover a body, but I havent' seen it in 5 days. Last time I saw the fish it was pretty much laying on the sand in a cave. Guess its hermit/snail food now.

Back