New 30 gal build-looking for feedback

pjewett

Reefing newb
Hi All

I've been keeping fresh & salt tanks for years but this is my first reef. It's a 30 gallon hex with 150W of MH light (12 hours daily) w/ moonlights (the other 12 hours), an in-tank refugium, remora protein skimmer, powerheads, etc. The LR, LS & water came from a 1 year old reef that someone was breaking down. I'm looking to get any advice I can get...powerhead placement, light, refuge, inhabs...coral placement..anything. I've been running the tank for just 3 months now.

Pics at bottom of post.

I couldn't figure out how to upload pics that were small enough but still identifiable so here's the link to my page...http://aquarium-blog.com (I use this site to keep track of what I do)

Inhabitants

Ocellaris Clown
Zebra Goby
Pajama Cardinal
Peppermint Shrimp
Hermit Crabs (small)
Emerald Crabs

Zoanathids
Bubble-Tip Anemone's (2-I think mine split in 2)
Favia Coral
Various mushroom
Duncan Coral
Brain Coral
Blue Xenia?
Ricordea
Yellow-Green Polyps
Feather Duster
Branch Coral?

Refuge:
Chaeto
Live Rock
Marine Bio-sediment
Copepods

pics:
octreef14.jpg

octreef.jpg

octreef10.jpg

octreef2.jpg

octreef6.jpg

octreef7.jpg

Thanks!:mrgreen:

first off welcome to the reef. now lets get down to business, get that anemone out of there, anemones need to be put into very established tanks (over a year old) and most anemones split because they are about to die so they make a clone of themselves before that happens, so take it out and return to the fish store you bought it from. another thing is since that is a tall tank and not a long tank, i think you are about done with your fish bioload wise. also remember that most SPS (small polyp stonys) need quite mature tanks also. besides that everything looks good

dustin_P74: Lose the anemones despite the fact that they tank was an established 1 year old when I got it? We simply moved all the water into buckets, including the live rock and sand and then drove 15 minutes and immediatley set it back up again. Both seem to love their weekly feedings of silversides.

Piggy: Thanks!

simpleman: Just plant him directly in the sand? Not sure how much live rock I have...wish I would have kept better track of it. I do plan on adding more this weekend.

first off welcome to the reef. now lets get down to business, get that anemone out of there, anemones need to be put into very established tanks (over a year old) and most anemones split because they are about to die so they make a clone of themselves before that happens, so take it out and return to the fish store you bought it from. another thing is since that is a tall tank and not a long tank, i think you are about done with your fish bioload wise. also remember that most SPS (small polyp stonys) need quite mature tanks also. besides that everything looks good

my anenome splits alot and my 75 gallon been going since february with tons of zoos and rics and lps and now 4 healthy rbta which love to split. So i think there anenome will be ok, heck i have a ritteri anenome even and its heathly. the age of tank will not kill it you just have a better success rate with an aged aquarium but all my rock was all cured and used alot of live sand from other systems.

Looking good! My only suggestion would be to add more rock. There is sooo much empty space in your tank (a common problem with tall tanks). Plus, live rock is your primary source of biological filtration. 1 to 2 lbs per gallon is recommended. You could build a really nice looking wall up the back of the tank. That will give more habitat for the fish (since they tend to stay near the rock and not go in open water), and more locations for you to place corals, and maximize filtration.

You got it to looking great so far.
You'll just have to play around with your powerhead placement.The more chaotic the flow,the better.
I think your anemone will be fine.Just be aware that if it decides to move.That it could kill some corals.

i always recommend bubble tip anenomes the most there supposed to have the least sting so they don't hurt corals hardly my rbta touch alot of mine and there all good.

i always recommend bubble tip anenomes the most there supposed to have the least sting so they don't hurt corals hardly my rbta touch alot of mine and there all good.

I used to think that too.Untill my GBTA decided to walk across my tank.

i would add 20 more pounds i love liverock fills the tank an makes everything look full, i have 40 pounds of liverock in my 30gallon nano

Tank looks nice. I have a 35 gallon hex. Just a pain in the but to aquascape. You can check out my photos to give you an idea. I doubt it will look the same in a month since I am moving the tank and adding a 20 gallon sump so I can remove the heater, skimmer and if I have enough flow from the mag 5 return the powerheads. We will see!!

good luck and again the tank looks great!

Back