new 54 gal corner

mdsiman

Reefing newb
Finally bought a tank!!! This is going to be my 2nd salt water tank, but lets just call it my first tank since i failed miserly the first time around with my 30 gal. I bought a 54 gal corner with aqua clear 110 filter, prizm hang on skimmer, koralia 1050 powerheaad, jager 250watt heater and a 48" t5 unit. My buddy is also giving me live sand and 60 lbs of fully cured fiji live rock to start me off. My friend is a manager at a local fish store and he is going to come over once a week and help me maintain the tank untill i start to learn whats going on. Im real excited to get the tank next week!!!!!:bounce: I got the whole setup for $700. How do you guys think i did?

Make sure u read a lot....research and then enjoy....but its so true, its addicting like a drug but also expensive!! Wish u the best, keep updates

Hello and Welcome!

You are going to need another powerhead or two, and the canister filter really isnt for saltwater tank. I also dont think that the skimmer is very good either.

How many bulbs does the t5 unit have?

I have another powerhead from my last 30 gallon still, and my buddy is looking around his store to see what kind of lighting he has Lying around. The fixture that the tank comes with only has 2 bulbs. It was used as fish only. Ill most likely upgrade to an led fixture sooner than later.

Yeah, canister filters become more of a problem then a solution due to the quick saturation of the carbon media. Good flow with healthy live rock and a quality protein skimmer that also provides good aeration is the ticket.

Ill have like 600 to put into it in about a week when I get my tax returns. What do you guess suggest on getting to make the tank better?

Ill have like 600 to put into it in about a week when I get my tax returns. What do you guess suggest on getting to make the tank better?

Quality live rock is a good start. This will become your primary filtration system.

Excellent water flow insures a healthy tank. I recommend two sump pumps (Eheims are expensive but are worth every penny) in case one fails. Two heaters for the same reason. I recommend a controller so you can add a chiller later. I have two controllers and two chillers. A good sump and a large external pump (Iwaki) to drive a quality Protein Skimmer like a Precision Marine Unit. I would also invest in a quality reverse osmosis system for water. A 5 stage unit from www.safedrinkingwater.com will reduce pollutants in the water like chlorine, heavy metals, phosphates, nitrates, etc. Can use it for cooking and drinking, as well.

All this may sound expensive and like overkill. But equipment does fail and if you have invested hundreds, if not thousands of dollars in fish and corals, the redundancy will pay off in the end. I even have everything on two separate circuits, in case a breaker trips, I still have one of everything running. I use two Tripp Lite surge protectors and panduit to keep all the wires up off the ground. Just plan on having spills and this will prevent dangerous electrical situations. A titanium grounding probe is also compulsory.

+1 westcott

But very few people actually need chillers, you can just run a desk fan blowing across the water and the evaporative cooling will cool the tank.

+1 westcott

But very few people actually need chillers, you can just run a desk fan blowing across the water and the evaporative cooling will cool the tank.

I live in the Houston area and run (2) 250Watt Metal Halide lamps. If you live up North, you may be luckier. I do not think people really monitor water temperature as closely as they should. I think it would surprise a lot of people how much it can fluctuate over a 24 hour period.

I am in San Antonio and have only used fans. My old corner tank had a 150 mh anytime the light was on the fans had to be on so the water evaporation was extreme with that tank. My 45 now has a controller and t5 lighting, I havent had a summer with this tank yet but so far so good. The only time the cooling fan has come on was when my daughter turned off the ac and didnt let me know. tank never went beyond 79.6

Back