New 60 Gallon Hex

revjay

Reefing newb
I started my 60 Gallon Hex FOWLR in August 2010. Just wanted to give an update and welcome any suggestions/comments. Right now, I only have 2 Damsels, a Dottyback, CC Starfish, 2 hermits, and 2 turbos. I've typically been adding 1-2 fish per month to give time for my levels to compensate. I'm still having some issue with my Bak Pak throwing a few bubbles. It's collecting on the LR. And I've got algae growing too, but I've heard this is usually associated with new tanks. I also just added a 150W Coralife MH light. Here's a pic:

100_1940.jpg

That looks great so far! Have you thought of building a rock wall up one side of it? That will give the fish more usable space.

looking good, but you could use some more rocks. Try looking for the branching ones that will add some vertical. Or build a rock wall up one of the sides. I also agree with dcantuscon that you need some small powerheads in there to get some more water movement. One should have the surface rippling and have the others dispersed at the different levels of the tank so you dont have any stagnant spots.

I currently only have 1 powerhead at the top, giving surface ripple. I've got another on it's way in the mail that I'm going to put mid-way down, to stir-up the bottom. I had planned to build a column up the middle, but I kinda like the idea of making a rock wall on one side. What do you guys think about the bubbles/algae issue?

The bubbles are actually algae starting to photosynthesize, all of your bubbles and algae are totally normal for a new tank. You definitely want more flow in the lower portion of your tank though, algae will thrive in low flow areas.

Where do you guys think I should position my 2 powerheads? I need to get my bottom stirred up as much as possible, because I'm getting some waste and algae build-up.

Back