New 75 gal reef tank

rds040800

Reefing newb
This is my first saltwater tank and I need some help
I have a 75 gal tank im setting up as a reef tank. It has a Sea life systems 175 wet/dry filter, a rio hyper 12 return, a hang-on refugium with a 180 gph pump, 2 65w power compact 50/50 actinic lights, a 600 gph overflow box and 2 heaters, with 2 digital thermometers, and a 20w flourescent over the refugium.

I set the tank up friday night and added about 3 in of aragonite, plus live sand. I turned it all on and let it run. Sunday I purchased my live rock and placed it in the tank. The ammonia level is around 4, which has decreased from 8 on monday. My Ph has remained stable at 8.2. The nitrites are higher than the test reads. The nitrates have increased to 10 as of this evening. Kh has decreased from 190 on Mon to 150 this evening. And the Ca is remainig steady at 450. The salinity is at 34ppt.

Now to my question. There is a red/maroon growth on the rocks. It is pointed and seems to be getting taller. It is starting to appear on all of the live rock. The typical purple coralline algae is there and the is also a pink colored item on some of the rocks in the substrate and on some of the live rock.

What is the red growth and the pink substance? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It is either a type of algae or cyno bacteria. without a picture it is not posssible to determine a reasonable guess. your system will cycle through several outbreaks until it fully cycles and matures a bit. see if you can post a picture. (for now just let it go and cycle. watch the amonia and as it starts to drop off the nitrite will stay up and when the amonia gets to 0 the nitrite should start to drop. when the nitrite gets to 0 the nitrates will be up and you can then use water changes agressively at first to lower the nitrates and add some clean up crew to help.) once all is under control for at least a month you can start to slowly add animals in addition to the cleanup crew. hope this helps. Also see helpful articles at top of this page and on the 1st page of that forum you will find some articles designed to answer your questions.

A picture would help, but cyano is my guess as well. I haven't seen much red algea that wasn't that. Is it slimey? If this doesn't resolve itself, assuming it is cyano, more flow in the tank is something you would need to help with this type algea. I would also like to ask what type corals you plan on keeping? You lighting is going to restrict you as far as corals are concerned. In the meantime, keep cycling and checking the water parameters. Also, keep us posted.

I found out it is coraline algae. It is actually pink and purple. There are also some bright green spots appearing in some places. Don't know what they are?? There is also a rust colored substance covering the top of most of the upper live rock and is starting to appear on the substrate. Any ideas on what this is? I am also going to change the lighting to a 4 bulb VHO setup as soon as i get my canopy built.

In all of my experiences, anything reddish in color that is slimey is cyano. Especially if it is on the substrate. One question, is this between your glass and substrate? If so it could be a type of coralline algea.

It is an orange brown color, no red in it. it is only on a few spots on the substrate. What do I do to get rid of it? My tank is still cycling, the ammonia is down to 0.25, the nitrites are at 5.0 and the nitrates are at 20. The Ph has remaines stable at 8.4, with the calcium at 450, and Kh remains at 150. The sg is 1.025 with an average temp running between 79 - 80. Is it too soon to put some clean-up animals in the tank?

It sounds like diatoms. If you stated you were cycling before I must have skipped over that part. I'd let the nitrites get back to zero then add some snails. If you're going to have corals I'd avoid the large mexican turbo snails. If you're not then they'd be good as would the typical turbo snail. If you can find the margarita snails they would be my pick. Ceriths are a must. I hope that helps.

Thanks Bifferwine. The astrea is what I was trying to think of when I typed "typical turbo."

Side note: As I read my previous post about snails I see where it could be misleading about the mexican turbos. It is not the fact they would intentially bother the corals, but they are so big they tend to knock them over as they crawl around the tank. To me this was an irritation, but just my opinion.

Last edited:
Back