new 75g tank cycle super fast i think?

xxjrealxx

Reefing newb
hey guys im new to reefing been reading alot on the fourms and choose to join in... now for my question i bought my tank from some guy and in the sump he left the sand and a little water as he told me it would help me cycle faster ( i bought the tank about 2 weeks ago) and filled with water this past sat 02/4/12. to my my surprise i noticed in the refg sump there was a snail living and moving around then today i noticed copepods on the glass of the tank and sump....now my question is should i assume my tank is cycled and add some damsels or clowns to check it or still wait
when i did my ammonia check it was about .23 helpp please

Last edited:
If you have ammonia, then the tank isn't fully cycled. You should be checking your levels every couple of days during the cycle. That way, you can see your ammonia go up, then down. As your ammonia is going down, you will see your nitrite go up. Then your nitrites will start to go down, and your nitrates will start shooting up. When the nitrites have dropped back to 0, do a massive (like 40-50%) water change. Check your levels a day or two later. If ammonia and nitrite are 0, and your nitrates are substantially reduced from the pre-massive-water-change level, then you are cycled. DO NOT add any critters prior to completing the cycle, no matter what your LFS says. It's cruel and will actually prolong the cycle, not speed it up.

Just another thought, but you reeeeeeeaaalllly want to avoid damsels as a first fish. They are very territorial and aggressive, and will attack and kill fish much larger than they are. They end up causing many headaches. Clowns can also be territorial, and you don't want more than a pair of them. Start looking at what fish you want to keep. Keep in mind that you will be limited to 7-8 fish, and consider the tank size requirements of the fish you are wanting to get. Remember that even if a fish is a juvenile, it still needs to be housed in a tank roughly the size it will need as an adult. Check out LiveAquaria for ideas. They are pretty good for research, and they list minimum tank requirements, adult size, temperament, reef-compatibility (if you're considering keeping corals) and many other pertinent details you will need to consider when stocking your tank. You mostly want to add fish starting with the most peaceful one you're wanting to keep first, and progressing to the more aggressive fish. The more aggressive the fish, the more likely it is to pick on fish added after it. Thus avoiding damsels as the first inhabitants of the tank! Good luck!

I also forgot to say that you should only add one fish every 3-4 weeks to allow you biofilter (beneficial bacteria on your live rock) to catch up to the increased load on the little system. The exception to that rule is a pair of clowns (or other already paired fish). Remember, nothing good happens quickly in our aquariums. This includes cycling, stocking, and every thing else. Quick change tends to lead to tank crashes. Go slow, and be patient.

Back