New 8 gal nano

fc_uk

Reefing newb
I have a 75 gallon aquarium that I have gone through some tough times with on the initial setup, but have been happy with the 75g for a few years now… Having (mostly) figured out the 75g, it's time to turn to something new; an 8 g nano.

So, I have a JBJ RL8 that is pretty much stock, but I have added a small 20g heater to it. For lighting I went with the AI Prime and have gotten a cycle, intensity, and color pattern programmed for that. If anyone has doubts about those AI Prime lights; don't and purchase as many as you need/can afford! I've added about 10 pounds of life rock.

As I am waiting for the tank to cycle, I did have a few questions.

How should I handle water changes? My thoughts were either 50% every 3-4 weeks or stick to 10% a week. I am leaning towards 10% a week as that is a small amount of water and less likely to cause major water chemistry changes that will make my coral grumpy, which will in turn make me grumpy.

I have been thinking about a black and white ocellaris clown as the only fish to add to the tank. I seems to be getting mixed information here. Some people/places say a clown will be okay in a 8g, others don't. I guess I am looking for more opinions.

As I said, I am running with a stock JBJ RL8. Any reason to increase flow beyond what the two returns on the RL8 provide? Not that anyone needs to give me yet another excuse to purchase another vortech …

I think that should do it. Getting excited to get the tank cycled and then start stocking it!

Thanks in advance!

Back