New 90 gallon tank build

W Glint

Reefing newb
I realize i posted this in the New Hobbyist area, but its a new tank so i thought it fit

OK! So heres the deal, I was planning a build for my new 55 gallon tank set up this spring, but I recently acquired a 90 gallon with a stand, canopy and a Amiracle Sump.

This changes everything!!! :bounce:

So, I’m revamping my equipment list, and as well as my stocking list! So many more possibilities!

So one thing I need some advice on is lighting: I was planning on keeping the tank FOWL because I will be building my stocking list around my Snowflake Eel that I already have.

Q1: For lighting, I already have two 24’’ Coralife dual bulb fixtures, and the canopy has a 48'' dual t8 fixture in it. is this combo enough light to luminate the tank well enough?

Q2: what is everyones thoughts on the Amiracle sump? It’s the 20 gallon bio ball version. Keep it or toss it? dump the bio balls? Was planning on using a Mag 12 as a return pump ( tank has a drilled overflow.) I was also thinking about modding it, and removing or halving the bio-balls and add a Berlin filter-sock instead / with. yes? no?

As for filtration, in addition to the sump (if i keep it ) i also have a Aqua C Remora skimmer that i currently have a maxi 1200 powering it, but when the new tank is up, i have a mag 3 that i will use with it. is this enough filtration?

Q3: For liverock, I was planning on using dry base rock, and just tie the new tank in with my current tank, and move some rock and a cup of sand from the old tank to let it ‘’seed’’ the system as to avoid the ammonia cycle. since im not changing the bio load, and not decreasing the bio filtration, i should'nt see a cycle. im just looking at it as increasing the water volume and adding some dead / dry rock. Good plan? Or no.

Now for stocking, I already have my SF Eel, and one of my the staple fish is a tang, but im not sure if I want a yellow or maybe a powder brown?

Tang (?) (A note to the tang police: :chair:
Flame Angel or a Pygmy Angle, or maybe a Coral Beauty.
Cromis ( maybe a few, a small school of 2-3 possibly?)
A firefish or 2
Longnose Hawkfish
(Eel and blue damsel I already have)

Thoughts on a cleanup crew? i was thinking nert. snails, some ceriths, some narssius snails, and then a bunch of hermits (i'm going to get a few more then i want because i suspect there's a chance the eel will pick a few off. :frustrat:

Thanks for the help!

A powder blue or brown wont do well at all in a 90 gal, they are super sensitive fish and are not going to make it in anything less than a 6 ft. A yellow however would do fine in there. The other fish you have picked out also look fine, but I would be concerned about the eel eating any fish that you add after them. Its a pretty common issues.

CUC sounds great. Also nothing on your list will go after corals so you can do a reef, but that will require better lighting. The lights you have now will work just fine for FOWLR tank though.

Never heard of that sump, but you can probably mod it to something useful, but do ditch the bioballs. And with enough live rock, and a skimmer you should be doing great on the filtration but its always great to have a sump, they are super handy.

You probably wont see a cycle, but dont start adding fish after the transfer. Wait at least a month and be prepared if you do see a mini-cycle. Have water ready to go if you need it.

Back