New Addition (Anenome)

jcg432

Reefing newb
I just bought a New Long Tenacle Anenome (Pink).

I have a 130 Watt Coralife lighting for my 50 gallon Tank.

At night I have a timer that turns the lights off at 8:00 pm.

I noticed that in the morning the Anenome is shriveled up and then it goes back to it normal self once the lights go back on.

Is that normal?

Long Tentacle Anemone

MACRODACTYLA DOREENSIS - Corkscrew anemone (long tntacled anemone)

-disc about 19"
-Indo Pacific
-Large tanks, 100 gal or more.
-Does best when kept under bright lighting.
-Has zooxanthellae, but needs to be fed every other day or so with meaty foods.
-Ecologically important. Survival in aquariums is poor: avoid wild caught specimens.
-Normally found in sediments with its oral disc flat on the surface, and proper aquarium conditions would call for a bed of fine sediments like silt or mud. Needs relatively little current. Major identifying characteristic is the presence of long and slightly tapering tentacles that may be as long as 8 inches. in a large individual. The column which is buried in the sediment is brown to orange and is lined with prominent white spots. The oral disc is typically brown to green. The tentacles are often the same color as the disc, although they may be a translucent gray. In nature only four species of clown fishes are reported with this anemone; Amphiprion clarkii, A. chrysogaster, A. perideraion, and A. ploymnus.

If this sounds like yours maybe you need to feed it, hard to say. if this does not sound like yours you will need to better identify it. and ill try to give you some information on it.

All anemones require full strength salinity of 35 to 37 ppt, and temperatures of 81 to 84. Despite the fact that they have zooxanthellae, all host anemones need to be fed and will do best with one or a pair of clownfish if the fish are not too big for the anemone. A moving or unattached anemone is an unhappy anemone, and is probably not long from this world unless conditions are changed. Conditions that may need correction might include; food quantity, food type, current, substrait, or light intensity (too much or too little). good luck

hey my corals do that too.!. and i was curious myself... but when the lights come back on, it takes about an hour for them to expand back out, then they look and act totally normal... since i'm new to the saltwater world, i thought this was normal. but its not??? does this happen to any one else??

Its not uncommon for corals to deflate or shrink at night when not feeding, and to slough off mucus, etc. and then blow back out when lights are back on and or feeding is active.

Back