New addition

Hi everyone!
Going to the LFS tonight, they get their shipments in on Fridays and I love to go and stare and chat with the workers there.
As some of you know, I have a 60 gallon tank and 3 chromis and 1 clown. I had mucho issues with 2 clowns so, just 1 clown for me from now on. It's hilarous cause the chromis squad kicked out the 1 guy and adopted the clown. Fish are funny. But, I digress...
Anyone have any suggestions on fish I should be looking at tonight for a new addition?
I love love love the flame angel (who doesn't?) but worry about my corals. And, I checked out the clown goby, sharknosed goby, and a firefish last week, but, they just didn't rock my world. If I had a nano I think they would but I'm afraid in the 60 they will just hide or get lost.

I don't like wrasse. There, I said it. And, I looked at the Royal Gamma and was told not to get them cause they're mean. I did not know this.
So, just looking for a fun, colorful fish that will be compatible with my other little guys.

Flame Angels are awesome, Potters Angels are awesomer. Unfortunately a 60 gallon is too small for them imo.

I have not heard of Royal Gramma's being mean - perhaps the people that were telling you that were thinking of the psedochromis that looks similar to the royal gramma?

You don't like wrasses?! What planet are you from? Haha j/k

I think you'd be ok with the flame but, theres definitely that issue with your corals. As for the neon (sharknose) goby, I loved mine. He had a lot of character and setup a cleaning station on one of my chalices, he'd jut out at passing fish and pick at them lol. Unfortunately, he got a little too excited one day while I was using the magnet on the glass and got crushed between it.

Have you thought about a type of sand sifting goby? There are some cool ones plus they'll serve a cuc type purpose in your tank.

I have to say I dont think my tank would be the same without my snail snatchin watchman!!! But I also did everything in my tank with the thought of nothing being the same color. The coral the fish, they are all different.

I have a Royal Gramma and 2 Firefish. My Royal is definitely NOT mean and my 2 Firefish are out in the middle of the tank all the time just hovering there in plain view.

Thanks for all the responses guys, I love hearing about everyones' fish and experiences.
Firefish hover in the open eh? Like cardinals? Hmmm...I like fish that stay out in the open. I paid for you darn it, now, entertain me. (that's what I say to my fish)
I was surprised when they said that about the RG, I have tried to memorize what fish I can and can't get so that I don't get bamboozled at the store and they were so adamant that the RG was going to be mean. Weird. They had the bi-color psedo there too and said he was 10 times worse. Which of course I knew not to get him. Tho he was amazing looking. It's weird cause I was going to get a fish and they talked me out of it. Not normal right? So I got nothing.
I really, really loved the look of the little sharknosed, he seems so friendly.I look at him every time I go in. I squashed a snail the other day with my magnet cleaner so I can see how that happens Brian, you fish murderer you. :) I'll go google sand sifting gobies and write down their names and look for them. They seem fun to watch. Like the one marines wife has, yours is yellow right girl? I'd like a fish with an interesting personality/kidnapping tendencies. Tweedle, Dee, Dumb, and Dumber are cute but not a ton of personality or brains there.
I almost think a Flame Angel is so cool I don't even care if it eats my corals. Shocking right? The only ones that rock my world are my duncan and my giant green palys or whatever they are.
North Star, you meant Potter's Angels are not for a 60 gallon right? Or did you mean the Flame?
I'd like to get a fun personality fish and then a kick butt looking fish then I am done.
And there will be no wrasses, do you hear me Brian, none! Hee he.

Potters are not for a 60... Flames are good in something as small as a 30.

I vote you get a flame. I had one and he was a model citizen.

Potters need 100+ gallons IMO, and LOTS of rock work to swim in and out of. Most of them do not survive the collection process, and should probably be left in the ocean. A LFS I don't normally shop at had one in one of their tanks for 4 months, so I brought it home. Its by far my favorite saltwater fish.

It is going to be a sad day if/when I lose that fish

A flame angel would be fine in your tank. I know of several flames in reef settings that are model citizens - if you keep it well fed you will likely be okay - if not, you can always set up a FOWLR for it :)

What kind Little Fish? Blennys do seem fun, but hard, right? I know I like the midas, but in the database (which is awesome btw) it only gives it a 4 for aquarium suitability.

Northstar: It's funny, I had never heard of/researched the potter's til you mentioned it.
But, after reading up, it's def awesome that is doing well, based on their collection methods and "expert" level status. Have you ever posted pics of him? I'll do a search...sounds like you have some cool/rare stuff going on...
Wouldn't that just make my husband's day if I set up another tank for the FOWLR fish I want?! Hmmm, that's almost enough to make me go do it.

I second the blenny recommendation. My starry blenny is such a cool fish, he's our favorite. I also have a royal gramma and would highly recommend one. He hasn't bothered my chromis at all, he hangs out with them and they all get along. Sounds like you know but make sure your LFS doesn't try to sell you the bicolor dottyback, cause one of mine did. Similar colors but the RG is way better looking in my opinion.

Thanks, yes, I'm with you, I want to stay waaaaay away from the dottyback, that's for sure!
I love how ugly the starry blenny is, does yours hop around on rocks? that would be fun to watch. I worry I don't have any algae for him to eat.

I guess its one of those creatures that's so ugly it's cute! He swims only to get food or get to a different rock. When I first got him I was worried, he was in my QT with no algae and he didn't eat for a few days. Then I gave him a few pieces of raw shrimp and he gobbled it up, and started eating anything I gave him. Even though they are classified "herbivore" they eat everything, at least mine does. And he eats the hair algae, algae off the glass, algae off the rocks. He also eats nori (seaweed sheets) and if you have no algae you might want to give yours little pieces of that.

My chihuahua is like that. So ugly she's cute. Well, to me at least.
Sounds like a fun little fish. And yours sounds like a little piggy, which is a good sort of fish to have. I will keep my eyes peeled for one. I've never seen one in person.

Northstar: It's funny, I had never heard of/researched the potter's til you mentioned it.
But, after reading up, it's def awesome that is doing well, based on their collection methods and "expert" level status. Have you ever posted pics of him? I'll do a search...sounds like you have some cool/rare stuff going on...
Wouldn't that just make my husband's day if I set up another tank for the FOWLR fish I want?! Hmmm, that's almost enough to make me go do it.

I'm sure there are photos of him in my build thread (search for Operation Nemo) I'll try and take a few more this weekend. I have the old iPhone with the failboat camera, so its hard to get decent photos

So far I've had luck with some finicky fish (the Potters has been in the tank for over a year, and my leopard wrasse is going on 6 months). Now if I could just get my Achilles to eat something other than nori sheets....

Actually blennies are deterivorous (sp?) meaning the eat the crap that falls to the bottom. They look like they are herbivores because detritus tends to collect in algae clumps. This is according to an article about blennies in Reef Keeper magazine a few months ago. Scientist determined this by looking at the stomach contents of blennies in the wild and observing what they were eating.

But! I respectfully disagree! My starry blenny is a beautiful thing!
DSC_0032-3.jpg

Thanks Little Fish, that's interesting info! I agree, it's a beautiful fish...some people use "ugly" to describe anything unusual/weird looking. I just love the personality - mine grabs food right out of my fingers and sits on my mag float on the front of the tank and looks at me. I think they're very intelligent. It's interesting, mine looks different from yours, he has more big spots and not so many small ones. He changes color sometimes to a very light almost white color.

Back