New and just setting

Warrington-guy

Reefing newb
Hi im new to marine. always used tropical before.

got the following so far.

60x12x16 tank
clearseal external filter
2 powerheads
skimmer internal air pump type.
heater
metal halide home made hood(and cooling for hood)
god 2 bags of coral sand
and only put today 3kg of live rock, going for more in the morning(another 7kg)

going to leave it for 4 weeks and do some water testing and then add some life in to it.

gallery_2838_1_1111749961.jpg

so far with 8kg of live rock.

Good move on letting it sit for a few weeks before loading it up. Its funny how people just want to buy a tank and throw everything in it. I can remember when I fisrt got my tank I spent a ton of money and when it was all set up I had 20lbs of live rock and a $3 fish to look at. Then I broke out the books and started reading. Good Luck, its going be a nice setup.

Whoops! Im just excited to have some traffic on the site, I have put many weeks into build this site and its great to see other people out there loving this hobby as much as I do.

Its is good but you will get busy once it starts growing. I run a car website in the uk with over 2800 members and im on the pc close to 6-8 hours a day controling the mess. Im going to recruit some staff to help run it soon.

If I were you, I would add at least add one damsel to provide the ammonia to start your nitrifying bacteria population unless you already have a healthy source from you live rock if you did not purchase cured live rock. Any dead stuff left on your live rock will provide enough ammonia load to your water, if so you are doing just fine. Nice set-up. Just a word of caution, I notice you have an external mechanical filter. If you are planning to get into corals, you do not want to have any filtration that will produce a lot of nitrates such as in a wet/dry filter. You do not want any biological filtration occurring in your mechanical filter. I believe Chris will agree with this. It will be hard to clean your canister on a daily basis to prevent any bacteria from getting a foothold in your canister. Your live rock, live sand is your main filter for ammonia.

True, throw them out, your live rock and sand will convert all your ammonia and nitrites for you. By the way how is the tank coaming along?

desertreefer,

Welcome to the forum! Its great to have another experienced reefer, jhnrb is also a very educated reefer that has been helping everyone out.

Chris,
Thank you. I would like to help those that can use it. I know this is an expensive hobby and we don't need to learn the hard way if we can avoid it.

Update up and running now 3 weeks. changing some water soon, Got hold of several large (office) bottled spring water. also buying a bigger more powerfull pump to get a bit more circulation.

Back