New and just setting

Looking good Warrington-guy! Water flow is a definite key to success. Has the tank finally cycled?

desertreefer, it sure is an expensive hobby. Its worth it in my book. thanks again for jumping in.

New forums site?

I just registered on this site. I'm also in the beginning stages of setting up a new tank, 37 gal. Right now just doing the water tests and waiting thing.

So, how old is this site anyway? I'm sure this'll be a place that I'll frequent.

Thanks for any input.

Lisa

Welcome Lisa! Livingreefs.com was started in Febuary, 2005. We are new but that makes it a small fun community. We are up to a hundred users and we all love Saltwater Reef Tanks! If you have any questions just post them.

Hi all,
I just wanted to say I just join your small community and hope I can be of some help.when Im here.Warrington-guy looks like you got some good advise and good start with your new setup.Damsels are good starters they can live through almost anything..They are pain to get out of your tank after the cycle is done though.You can also cycle your tank with some fresh dead shrimp,also during the cycling you dont need any lighting just causes algae blooms :)

Welcome aboard minireefer!

I have some damsels left over from cycling, I just can't get rid of the buggers. The 4 I have left have been thru 3 different tanks.

Adding flake food to an empty tank can also help cycle it. As the flakes rot the converting bacteria will crank up.

Hi all.

I think my tanks now funny cycled. quite like the speed of the damsel and it gets on well with the cleaner shrimp. Just been out and bought a pond pump 1200lt per hour and installed that for a bit more flow. bit big for the tank but its doing its job.

Going to start looking for corals soon, might look on ebay not 100% sure what to do.

I would start with some mushrooms and zoo polyps.They are pretty hardy corals and they come in a verity of colors.Now since your in England Im not sure whats available to you.Some websites I found only ship stateside due to whats being shipped.I have got good stuff from ebay but its hit or miss with whos selling. good luck

I found this guy on the net. Im not real familiar with the geography of the UK but atleast its a start.

Im starting a marine club in plymouth where you can bring if you wish frags for exchange with other hobbiest in the area and get to meat other reefers ,if not bring your self and have a chat its totally free and we are thinking of applying a 10% discount off all dry goods orderd (dry goods orderd on the evening will be deliverd free the following day) for more information
either email me at [email protected]
or phone me (darren) on (01752) 241802

Contact Information
Advertiser: darren
Telephone: 01752 241802
City: Plymouth
County: Devon

Stick with the easy corals till your tank is 3 to 6 months old. I would hate to see you put a ton of money in corals then have a tank spike and kill everything that can't take a beating.

Try to get farm raised corals/frags. easier to climate than wild and not stressed as much as wild. better success. just another thought.

I am just starting to stock my 90 gallon reef and went to aqua world on church st in warrington.
He sells some lovely soft frags as well as all kinds of fish and shrimps etc
He only deals in marine and really seems to know his stuff
I got a pair of Bellus Angels and will post pics once they have settled
Good luck with tank you seem to know what you are doing!!

Back