New and Learning what if takes to get it done right

ABfish

Reefing newb
Hello from Nor Cal ,

I getting started with my 120 Salt water Reef Tank with all my good rocks and
had some nice soft corals until the other day. It seems my tank had a mind of its
own and the temp went up to about high 80's . To witch some of my soft corals
just did not like so now am learing the hard way. Bad me need to work on my skills
but I guess that is part of learning. I am getting a new chiller this week to address what I think is my problem and hoping to bring it back to life and beutifil agian.

Any words or information is alway of great help.

Thanks for Reading my first thread. :twocents::sfish::shock:

Hello and welcome to the site...I wouldn't think the temp was the problem...unless it jumped up to 80 very quickly from lets say 76 or something...my tank is constantly around 80 to 82 degrees, and thats fine for a saltwater tank.

Welcome to the site.
A clip on fan would be a lot cheaper than a chiller,uses less than 1/4 the electricity,and will drop the waters temp just as quick.

+1 yote i keep a fan on my pump all the time temp stays at 76.3 and i live in south florida where its like constantly in the 90s

welcome to the site. I use a fan for temp control also and I live in south Texas and was just fine for the 60+ days of over a hundred this summer.

Welcome to the site, ABfish.
I use a chiller on my Red Sea Max, because I don't have a sump and no open top. I has built in fans but still doesn't cut it. Sometimes you have to.

Last edited:
I also use a clip-on fan blowing across the surface of the water. It can lower your temps by up to 10 degrees and won't hurt your wallet like a chiller will.

Back