New and short on $$$

Copland

Reefing newb
Hi everybody just wanted to introduce myself and get to know everyone. This is actually out of my element due to the fact that I'm a koi ponder and not actually into saltwater (yet). But I was in the local store the other day and I seen some amazing fish and I figured that my 3000 gal pond was going good maybe it was time to start something up new inside. So I purchased a 38 gallon bowfront for the house. I haven't done anything besides scrape the tag off of it so far. As far as ponds go I can tell you anything, but for saltwater I need help and lots of it. I find Forums to be the best way to gain knowledge. So any and all help would be appreciated. I was really trying to get a grasp on how much it will cost to do an intial setup on my saltwater tank. I like to take things slow and build things up. My pond took me 3 years to get right and now it's time to expand it. Basically what I need is the who what when where's and whys of saltwater. I plan on having a small reef tank with some incredibly vibrant fish. So any ideas and suggestions are welcome. Again thank you for your help.

Welcome to the site.
The only advise I can give is be patient and read some of the ''Helpful Articles'' that are at the top of the page.This hobby is by no means cheap but it doesn't have to break the bank either.Have you given any thoughts on what kind of setup you are looking into....

(FOWLR)fish only with live rock or full reef.The setup will help you determine cost(of course reef being more expensive).It would be a good idea if you do go reef,decide on what corals interest you and that you like to keep.Too many of us in the hobby have gone through lighting upgrades instead of getting the right one in the beginning.

If you have any specific questions,feel free to ask.
BTW,your Koi pond is prolly something to behold.

Welcome to the site, and welcome to the world of saltwater. I'm brand new to this hobby - and this board is my #1 most trusted source of information. So far, I've spent $1600 on my setup. The 55 gal tank and stand were donated... I suspect I'll probably be putting another few hundred dollars into it in the next few months on fish and inverts. The mantra in saltwater: slow - slow - slow - don't do ANYTHING drastic EVER - which is good, as it gives your bank balance a chance to recover.

I've noticed it pretty much costs me around $50 to walk into and out of the fish store right now...

My introductory thread, when I joined the board, can be found under "introduce yourself" and is titled "Be nice to the new guy" -(they've been SUPER nice).... it's PACKED with answers to tons of questions. The local fish store recommended "The New Marine Aquarium" by Michael Paletta - a good starting point (not as good as this board, though).

Again - welcome and best of luck!

hey neighbor..
What fishstore did you go to ?

as far as price is concerned i would say Lights are the biggest cost . I would go for a t5 light set-up. Live rock will cost anywhere between 5 to 7 dollars a pound and you will want to get between 50 to 70 Lbs of rock for best filtration. and you will also want to invest in a Good Protein skimmer,
Take your Time with the cycle of the tank you dont want to rush anything in this hobbie,

Welcome to the reef
feel free to post pictures of your progress on the system
Have fun.

yes, welcome. You will find tons of information in this forum. Find your style and enjoy this amazing hobby. Look at the helpful articles section, be patient and map out your tank before you buy anything. Get good lighting, filtration and decide what livestock you will eventually desire. a 38 gallon will limit you to smaller fish (about 3-4 gallons per one inch of fish) so you can have about 8-10 inches of fish - but remember, the bigger the fish, the more waste. A 38 gallon is not big enough for the long term care of a 8 inch fish so you will need to get 3 3 inch fish or something like that. Look to damsels, blennies, firefish, etc. Best of luck to you and keep us posted on your progress. Welcome again.

-Dr Marco :sfish:

My 28g bow not including the tank itself, or the stand.
Skimmer: 160
T5 HO Lighting: 60
Live Rock (50 Pounds): 160 ( i got great deals)
IO Salt: 20
Arag Alive 20 lb: 30
4 maxi jet600 powerheads: 50
Heater: 20
Turbo Snails 4: 12
12 Blue Legged Hermits: 10
Lawnmower blenny: 19
Firefish: 14
2 Ocellaris Clowns: 60
Mysis Food: 13
CycoPeez Food: 13
Timer for lights: 7
Thermometer: 6
Mag Glass Cleaner: 7
Test Kit: 30

Almost 600 so far. and this is just for a 28g. yours will scale, upwards, since you have to buy more of everything.

To Poolshark, knowing the money you invested is worth it in the end...priceless. Welcome to the LR. I'm addicted to it. Everyone is very helpful, even if it's for a laugh. It's an amazing support network. If something goes wrong or your water parameters are out of wack and you need to vent, this is the place to do it. I know when something goes wrong with mine, my coworkers and friends look at me like I'm nuts. I'll just come home and post and the replies are wonderful. "I'm not alone". Good luck and welcome again.

welcome... i'm a newcomer as well.. doing this for about 5 months now... only advice i can give you is to get a list of all the items you need(equipment, chemicals, etc) and order it online from a reputable vendor. you will save quite a bit. some of the online stores have free shipping if your order is more than a certain amount... i've personally used these two without any issues.

Pet Supplies, Dog Supplies, Cat Supplies, Pet Meds & Pet Products: Drs. Foster & Smith Pet Supplies
MarineDepot.com

How's this deal sound

Oceanic Systems 29 gallon
Stand included
Live sand
20 pounds of live rock
30 gallons of salt water

All for under 500 including tax I think it will be around 495

You will need more live rock than that. Standard is 1-2 pounds per gallon, plus all that water will be displaced, but it sounds like a good deal to me. What does everyone else think? Am I right? 1-2 pounds per gallon?

yes sara, you are correct. 1-2 lbs per gallon is just about right. Some people like to really stock their tanks to the hilt with rock to maximize coral potential. I have mine laid out to the tune of half way up the height of the tank to give ample swimming room for my bigger fish toward the top, where the current is strongest. Up to you.

-Dr Marco :sfish:

I think that's pretty expensive for a 29 gallon tank and stand. If included lights, that's a different story, but for what you listed, no, I wouldn't buy it.

The deal includes everything skimmer lights filter all of it's built into the tank it's like a nano just by a different company. I will buy more rocks but the owner of the shop is giving us 20 pounds for free.

hey welcome to the site. i am also a newbie, but everyone here is a great help and you can really learn a lot of stuff about this hobby being apart of this forum.

to me that sounds like a pretty good deal with everything it comes with.

my suggestion would be just keep asking questions and research as much as possible. The Conscientious Marine Aquarist by Robert Fenner is a awesome book and a great place to start.

Welcome to the board. I'm also new at saltwater. I looked at them tanks when I first decided to do saltwater but I wanted something a little bit bigger. If it included the everything to set up I would say good deal. I just set up a 30 gallon for my sister and I know we spent quite a bit of money. Where she lives the saltwater supplies are more expensive so I try and take what she needs when I visit. Keep us posted on how your tank is doing.

Back