New and still doing my research

JadedFox

Reefing newb
Heya, my names, Jen, though most just call me Fox =)

I've kept freshwater tanks off and on over the course of my life, but I've always wanted to do a reef tank (guess that's kinda obvious since I found my way here, huh?) Well, I'm still doing my research on the subject, and figured reading books and articles is all well and good, but talking with experienced people would be greatly beneficial. I've flirted with the venture a few times in the past, but something always fell out of sync. I'll spare you the life story thought =) I've only a couple questions at the moment.

First would be, My brother is giving me a 45 gal. hexagonal tank and I'm wondering if this would be a suitable starting point to kick off my venture in the world of Reef Tanks (assuming its in as good condition as he says)?

Secondly, I'm curious as to any recommendation for books, websites, etc to check out for good, up to date information? Its been a while since I last did any heavy research so, I'd like to brush up on some of the most basic things.

Thanks in advance!
Fox

Yes to the first question, and someone around here has a list of books, and I can't think of the name of it now... But, for the most part, the books will only get you so far, hang around here a bit ask lots of questions, and then go ahead and take your baby steps in. Just be patient and it will all go well. Great to have you here welcome to the Reefs.

Hello and welcome to our fourms!! You said you are looking for experienced people? well you have came to the right place! I am also kinda researching, but i have mostly got it done, im just waiting to move and set up my tank!

That tank would be ok, as long as its it NOT acylic, you dont want those tanks becasuse they scratch easy. personly i would not like the tank but its up to you. the only problem would be getting a light that would be powerful enough for corals to fit the tank. What are the dementions to the tank?

I know of a good book i read but i cant think of the name right now, i dont have the book with me but when i have it ill be sure to let you know what it is called.

And again welcome!

45 will be tall will need a MH, lots of small fixtures for this size tank though that have PCU or T5's with them to supplement. If it is acrylic don't worry, they do scratch easy but since its free, it will be fine to keep and wouldn't cause any problems. I will assume it is glass since I do not think I have ever seen this tank made in acrylic.

Also, do a checklist here with people before you buy anything you need, the tips and advice people give you here will save you more money and time than any amount of research in a book.

The 45 will work, like cathic said, you will need strong lighting since the tank is so tall. Before you start with the 45g take this into consideration, the smaller your tank the harder it is to keep your water quality good, and also once you start you'll realize that you are limited with your fish and coral choices with smaller tanks. (I've got a 29g tank and I'm already thinking about turning my 75g into a a SW tank).
As far as books go, this is an excellent book for anyone in this hobby: The Conscientious Marine Aquarist by Robert M. Fenner (2nd Edition)

Hi and welcome!
Like others have said, hex tanks can be more difficult to work with because of their height. But that volume tank is a great starter size.

You may see a challenge if you want to start keeping photosynthetic animals like corals, clams and anemones, because the deeper a tank is, the more difficult (and expensive) it is to light it. But that's something you can think about later on down the road, and you can always take your time to save up the money you need to buy good lights.

Welcome!
I only joined about a month ago, and these people are awesome!
Ask a lot of questions, someone is sure to give you the benefit of their experiences!

Thanks for the warm welcomes and responses =)

The books/websites/etc, I mostly want for the brush up on basics, terminology, plus they're good for making notes in the margins for when the computer isn't readily at hand to pick a brain =)

Bro brought it on over tonight, he doesn't remember the exact dimensions, I'll have to break out the tape measure later after the kids are in bed and I can focus and try to remember to nab a few pictures of it, I like to photo document tanks when I do them =) Oh and yes its glass. I'm not a huge fan of the acrylics, suppose like anything they do have their pros, but I like my good old glass.

I haven't totally set my mind on anything specific stock-wise yet, more research required there. But I look forward to the mention of the challenge with the hex and its height, I like a good challenge keeps the mind in shape and adds to the reward at the end. Well I suppose there isn't really an end end, but yeah =)

I'm gonna do some reading, and some measuring, and I'll be back to pick ya'lls brains! Thank you again for the welcome and feedback.

--Fox

Hello and welcome to the site...glad to have you. Hex tanks are a little difficult for reef tanks because of their height and the difficulty of light contribution and low oxygen exchange, and are best suited for seahorse tanks. It is do-able, but a bit more challenging. I believe the majority of us who have reef tanks, have long shallow tanks...but whatever you set up, we'll help you along the way. :)

Welcome! I like you am researching still and this place is the place to be for friendly and prompt advice. :mrgreen:

Well after taking measurements, and calculating it out, it would seem my brother was a bit off in the size (surprise, surprise). Taking internal measurements and rounding down to err on the side of caution(your basic measuring tape inside a hex isn't the most fun ha ha), I'm going to say it's actually a 35gal.

Measurements: Drawing attached for clarification

Height - 22"

Sides - 12"

Point to Point Center Length - 24"

Side to Side Center Width - 21"

I didn't get around to pictures, plus its got a bunch of the stuff he brought over with it stored inside for the moment. It needs a good cleaning, but otherwise is in good condition.

Now I kinda need an idea of what exactly I can/want to put in it, so I can start figuring out what exactly I'm going need equipment wise. Any suggestions? My personal preferences tend toward corals and invert critters, although by household demand I need at at least have some kind of fish to in there too.

Thanks again
Fox

Attachments

• tankdim.jpg
    tankdim.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 289
Here is a perfect light for your tank.

150W Metal Halide Pendant Lights

Order it now. I mean, right now. It's regularly $269, but is on sale right now for $139. You wouldn't even be able to get it cheaper than that if you bought it off another reefer used.

That light will allow you to keep any corals/inverts that you want in your hex tank. I would go with the 20K bulb if you choose to buy it. That company's lights are good, too. I've been using their 70 watt MH pendant over my 10 gallon tank since I set it up.

Back