new aquarium

dustin_P74

Reef enthusiast
ok so over the weekend i purchased a 120 gallon tank with filters but i can remember the brands. i know i have a wet dry filter and a sump. thats all i can remember. but it has yet to be delivered. so right now i will have an empty tank. when i get the water in there i will put to damsels in there to get the cycle up and going. once the cycle is done i will take the damsels back. then again being left with an empty tank. so i need suggestions as to what to put in it that being coral LR and fish

Welcome. You made a good choice by going with a large tank, this will make things easier as far as water quality, but more expensive in purchasing equipment and stocking.

You should start out with some live rock. 1-2 lb per gallon is recommended. Do you have a skimmer? A protein skimmer is highly recommended with saltwater tanks. The skimmer along with plenty of live rock will be your primary filtration. Good water flow is also important, so make sure you get powerheads.

I wouldnt start stocking the tank with corals after the tank has barely fished the cycle. Corals need more mature systems. About a month after cycle, you can start adding more fish, cleaner crew and shrimps.

Good luck and take some pics of your system for us to see.

of course ill tank pics. isnt that what everyone wants to see? yes i have a skimmer and i think the tank has the powerheads built in but i dont know. if it doesnt i think i might have bought some. after the cycle as finished what would you suggest as the first things in the tank. i know the order of placing fish like most aggressive last and non aggressive first. would you also suggest any type of rock going in after the cycle as finished or just fish at that point

Welcome to the reef.
I wouldnt use damsels to start the cycle.There are easier methods that wont cause you near as many head aches.
Start with your rock.If you wont to save some money,go with 50% base rock and 50% live rock.If you buy uncured live rock,that will be plenty to start your cycle.If you buy cured live rock,just drop a raw table shrimp in the tank.Let it rot for about a week and pull the whats left out.
Once your ammonia and nitrites drop back to zero,then add a clownfish,or something thats fairly hardy and watch it for a month or so.Then if they do alright,add one or 2 more fish.
Take it slow and easy.This is one hobby that can not be rushed.

that makes sense. i read about the shrimp method but i wasnt to sure about it. but then again what do i know. this is my first tank. ill go to my LFS and buy some and have them bring it and set it up with my tank. best to make them do it. why strain myself. right?

I doubt your LFS will carry table shrimp.Get that at your local grocery store.Just drop one piece in and cook the rest.
If you'd rather have the LFS set your tank up,thats up to you.But you'll miss out on all the fun of actually doing it yourself.

i was talking about them bringing the rock not the shrimp. but they still have to deliver the tank and do the plumbing so ill just get them to bring the rock with it so i can buy it now and not have to worry about it til the tank gets here

That would work.
If their rock is good and cured and you add 1 to 2 pounds per gallon,you may not have a cycle.Just dont bet on it though.
But if at all possible get all the live rock at once.That way you dont run the risk of causing a mini-cycle.

will do. thanks for the info. so if i get all the rock in there right after its set up are you sayin there will be no initial nitrogen cycle

Depends on the rock.I've helpped set up display tanks at my LFS,fully stocked the same day as we set them up,and they never cycled.But we've also had them cycle and had to pull the fish and corals out and wait untill the levels evened back out.
With good cured rock,you can at least expect a fairly short cycle period.
To be safe,once the rocks in,test for ammonia about ever 3 days for about 3 weeks.Dont add anything else to the tank,and see what it does.

alright ill go down to the fish store and see what they have, what do you look for to determine if its good cured rock. and how do you determine if its even cured. probably a newbie question but i dont know

I agree with Yote, either use live rock or a piece of uncooked shrimp to cycle your tank. With damsels, if they die, you've unnecessarily killed some animals, and if they survive, you'll have one hell of a time trying to catch them again, and they'll try to kill any other fish that you add after that.

Ask your LFS if the rock is cured or not. They'll know. If it smells fresh, then it's likely cured. If it smells like rotten fish, then it's likely uncured.

that rule should be quite easy to follow if my nose is as good as i think it is. and i think ill go with the shrimp cause ill get to lazy to fish those damn damsels out later

I did the shrimp method when I started my first tank. It took about four weeks for my tank to cycle. Every tank is different though.

now if you have more shrimp in there all decomposing would it help speed things up or would it still just take as long as if there was only one in there

what do you guys think as far as fish go. i know i want to get some clowns but dont know what kind or how many, i also want either a naso and/or a blue tang and maybe a queen angel. what do you guys think about that selection. im also open to suggestions

Depending on what kind of clowns you like.Only get one or a mated pair.Other wise they'll fight.
Also be aware that nasos can get up to 12 inches long.

Back