New at Saltwater aquariums..

jeppun21

Reefing newb
Hi everyone.. Im fairly new to the salt water trade.... I have a fully cycled 14 gallon biocube for about a month with about 18 pounds of live fiji rock and i have a sand substrate... I also added a hydor koralia 240.. i removed the bioballs..and added live rock rubble.. and have an aqueon submersible heater and the biocube protein skimmer... in habitants in my tank are..

4 red legged hermits
1 blue legged hermit
1 nerite snail..

My tank perameters are pretty good

PH at 8.2
Ammonia at 0.0ppm
Nitrite at 0.0ppm
Nitrate at 0.00ppm
Salinity at 1.024

Was wondering would adding a hydor flo would be a little bit over kill to my water flow cause i have a hydor koralia 240 and do u thnk its a good idea to change my biocube pump thats 136 gph to a hydor pico evolution mini pump that pumps 300gph.. And lastly any suggestions on first timer fish... i was looking into a watchman goby and tiger shrimp or an ocellaris? Pls give me ur input..

thank you
jep

Hello and Welcome!

I think you will be fine adding more flow, as long as your sand isnt flying around you dont have too much flow. Even then, with a bit of adjusting you can keep the sand down.

A watchman goby would do fine in that tank. Here are some great fish that will live just fine in a smaller tank
Nano Fish

Also you are limited to one fish or at most two clowns in your tank.

Hey everyone! Its good to be here.. I checked out the tank images u guys have here and i hope i can create a stunning tank like u guys.. Was wondering... Since i only have inverts and im new to saltwater was wondering can i do a semi reef tank a little bit of corral.. And do i need to do anything special to start it ?

Thanks
jep

@SMITTY
Just wanna say awesome tank bro! Was wondering since were both frm the chicago area do u knw any good places to get great and affordable fish and coral frm?

Thanks
jep

All you need for a reef is good lights and good water quality, and once the coral bug bits, it will never let you go!

Do you know what kind of lights came with your tank?

The lights that came with my tank are a 10,000 k 24 watt daylight lights and 50/50 24 watt lights.. Are those lights good enough or should i upgrade?

I think that should be fine for most corals. Do you know the last time the bulbs were replaced? Old bulbs tend to put out wavelengths that fuel ugly algae and dont put out the correct wavelength for coral growth, so you want to replacement yearly.

For my 10,000k light i just recently replaced it about a week ago.. for my 50/50 havent replaced it yet... but i mainly run my 10,000 k.. Was wondering what is the minimum amount of time everyday that i should have my lights on.. Is 4 hours ok or do i need more?

thanks
jep

Back