new BTA

chantel1220

Reefing newb
Hey guys
I have been reading this forum for awhile and have learned TONS of stuff.
I have had my 55 gal for about 2 years now, but still feel like I don't know
a darn thing! I bought a BTA 2 days ago (my first one) and seems like he
has been ok, but I came home today and he has moved under a rock where he doesn't get as much light and no current. Is that ok, or should I try to move him back where I had him?
Thanks for any help

Hi and welcome! First off, what kinds of lights are you running?

The BTA will move to wherever it is happiest. I would leave it where it is. If you try to move it, you A) risk tearing its foot which will kill it, and B) it will just move right back to where it wants to be anyways.

It can take BTAs a few days to a few weeks to adjust to a new tank. He will probably continue moving around the tank until he finds a place he likes. In the meantime, you can try feeding him meaty foods and stuff like that when his tentacles are out.

Be sure you have any filter intakes or powerhead intakes covered with sponge! BTA's are notorious for getting themselves sucked up into anything they possibly can.

Thanks for the help. He's ('Bubbles', original huh?) already been eating (I think). I fed him a piece of squid last night and it disappeared so I'm assuming he ate it.
I have a 55 gal with 260W current PC, from what I've read that's enough, right?

By my figuring,your pretty low on the light you need to keep an anemone by about 4 watts.
Im not saying that it wont survive,Just to watching close for any signs of stress or bleaching.

I agree with Yote about the lighting, you have around 5 watts per gallon of PCs, anemones really need at least 8, 9 or 10 watts per gallon. Keep an eye on him, they are hard to keep alive in the first place, and even harder with insufficient lighting.

It can be so frustrating! Acting on information I got on the internet and my LFS I went ahead and bought this BTA. They said I would be ok with
it and some soft corals, such as mushrooms and polyps. I hope bubbles will be ok! So far in my two years I have only lost one fish and that was an evil, evil damsel from hell! What can I safely keep with 260W PC?

The Bta might be ok in it, but youd be better of with t-5 or matal halides. The corals you copuld keep are all softys, and some lps maybe, but I wouldn't add SPS or anyother anemones.

Welcome to the site.

Thats the beauty of this site Chantel.All you got to here is ask,and somebody is more than happy to answer.And unlike the LFS,were not after your money,We just want to help you make your system the best it can be.

BTW.
Nice to a neighbor on here.

Welcome to the reef. Going to ask what BTA is? I think I figured out The B is for bubble no idea on the T and the A is anemone.

pics of BTA?

icantseethepics.jpg

Back