New Build...20 Gallon w/10g sump

johnhawk811

Reefing newb
Hello all,
After playing around with a 5 gallon Eclipse corner w/11 pounds of LR, 1 small clown, and 3 peppermint shrimp, for about 2 months, I'm now ready to move up. I found a 20g tall with hood and stand on Craig's List for $35, and a 10g for sump for $7. I have some odds and ends (Koralia 1, submersible pump) that I've collected during my 5g Eclipse experiment but also know that lighting is VERY important for a reef tank. I'm looking to do 20-30 pounds of LS and add another 25 pounds of LR for the 20g.

I want to take my time in putting this together and get my materials in order before putting one drop of water in this tank.

My first question is what kind of lighting should I be considering (Coralife; Hagen; Current USA, etc.), also, T5, Halide, with LED or does it matter. I'm not looking at spending $700 on a 24" light but am willing to pay a fair amount for what will work best ($250-$400).

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

John,

To spend up to $400.00 bucks on a $35.00 20g tank is probably not worthwhile.
Take a look at THIS.

If you can spend a bit more than you were willing to on lights, you can get a jbj 28g tank with 150w HQI light, overflow, powerheads, skimmer, wavemaker, cooling fans, etc. This tank (for the price) will be a great all-in-one reef tank for many years.

If I was starting and in your price / size range, I would go this route...

Just my personal opinion.

Good Luck.

Thanks Messiah, understand what you're saying but I really want to experience 'building' this one instead of just going out and 'buying' a package deal.

Daughetry/Yote/Nudy - thanks for the links and info.

I agree with messiah, I'd be looking to upgrade from that 20g so fast it wouldn't be worth buying lights for it. Not to mention the fact that the smaller the tank the harder it is to keep, generaly. I'd hold out for a bit til I could start with a 55g or even a 75g. After only a year and a half i'm already making plans for a second and much bigger tank. Just my :twocents:

Understand 100% but I've been working with my 5gal Eclipse learning the basics...very basics. I currently have a 37g FW that is in the place where I would eventually put a larger reef tank but for now I need to continue to learn. I'm sticking with my current plan for a couple reasons and then someday move up to a 55 or even 75.

Again, thanks to all I just need to learn what the best (or good for the price) equipment is.

Next I'll be looking for a skimmer that I can put into a 10g sump/fuge.

Back