New camera?

Jimbo662

Reefing newb
I've decided it's time for me to upgrade my camera. What brand / model of camera do any of you use that will give you great tank shots?

Ouch...dslr prices are a bit steep. I'd rather spend the money on something for the tank. I've still got a few things on my wish list. And I didn't want anything too complicated.

This should be high on your tank list. Take a look at Dennis pictures and then try and redo them using a point and shoot camera. And with a tank like your planning I would only want a camera that going to be the best. What about a rebel T3i or Nikon D5100. Each are $850 with a bundle package.

LOL ok ok...I'm starting to get the point! I was actually reading reviews on the D5100 right now. And yes, I've seen all of Dennis' pics...AMAZING!

Ya know, i haven't tried it in the tank yet :lol: but I recently got an Olympus Tough TG-1. It's waterproof! And I added the wide angle adaptor lens. That's one of the cams I took with me on my trip to TBS. Takes some sweet underwater shots. I keep forgetting to try it in the tank. I'd do it right now but I just fed so the water is kinda messy. But ya, it won't have the speed and control that a dslr has.

Look at Dennis pictures and then rethink this. I would want a dslr to capture the full beauty of your 300g tank.

This should be high on your tank list. Take a look at Dennis pictures and then try and redo them using a point and shoot camera. And with a tank like your planning I would only want a camera that going to be the best. What about a rebel T3i or Nikon D5100. Each are $850 with a bundle package.

Keep in mind, Dennis is a professional photographer with years of education and experience. Buying an expensive camera will not turn you into a good photographer, and spending $850 on a DSLR won't automatically give you beautiful tank photos. I spent more than that on my DSLR and found that without a class or lessons on how to use it, I was basically using it as a point and shoot camera, because I didn't understand any of the settings -- it's extremely complicated and confusing if you are not familiar with cameras and photography. Luckily, there are a ton of good tutorials online on how to use DSLRs, so that helps a whole bunch. But unless you are willing to put in the time and effort to learn how to use an expensive camera correctly, you are better off saving your money and buying a point and shoot. I've taken plenty of amazing pictures of my tanks with my point and shoot camera as well. And Dennis has posted photos he's taken with a point and shoot and you can't tell the difference between some of them and the DSLR photos. It's not so much the camera that makes the difference -- it's the skill of the person taking the photos.

What biff said.

Advantages to going DSLR:

1) Focus speed
2) Shutter speed (no lag between hitting the shutter button and the camera taking the pic)
3) Multiple shots per second.
4) Larger sensor (higher resolution and better high iso, ie less noise.)
5) Ability to change lenses
6) Finally and most importantly, full manual controls which you should learn to use if you are going to take full advantage of what you just spent your hard earned money on.

And plan on adding some software to the cost like Adobe Lightroom.

Thanks you two. That brings up a good point. if your not will to learn about the equipment your using then there isn't a point in having it. With all the youtube videos out there everything or most of it is there for the taking.

I'd like to add it's not entirely about learning the equipment. Skilled photographers just have an eye for a good shot. Buying an expensive camera doesn't make you better at it. There are some things you can't learn.

I love my Canon 60D. Takes incredible photos with an external flash and some manual settings.

Worth every penny IMHO but takes some time to learn as well.

I do want a full frame DSLR though. a 6D or 5D mark III. Dam expensive though

I took a photography class my senior year in high school and even set up a dark room to do black and white but that was a "few" years ago. I'm sure some of it will come back...eventually!

dark room, these kids dont know about dark rooms. One of my employees at work had never heard of a Polaroid. I bought my now ex wife a sony a230l DSLR was just before we split but was a great camera. I sure do miss that camera. :grumble:

I would like to buy a decent camera....but I wouldn't want to spend more than $50-$100....and I don't think I could get a camera worth anything in that price range. lol

So...is this a good deal? package for $879.95

• Nikon D5100 16.2MP CMOS Digital SLR Camera with 3-inch Vari-Angle LCD Monitor - Body (Includes manufacturer's supplied accessories)
  • 16 Gigabyte SDHC Secure Digital Memory Card - Secure Digital USB Card Reader - Universal Memory Card Wallet - Pack of LCD Screen Protectors
  • Well Padded Multi Compartment Gadget Bag with Pockets & Strap - Additional EN-EL14 Reachargeable Lithium ion Replacement Battery
  • Full Size 59" Tripod W/Case - Jumpstart Guide to Digital SLR Cameras.
  • Bonus mini HDMI to standard HDMI cable - Free 25 Quality Prints (Promo code # on invoice)
  • Nikon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G AF-S DX VR Nikkor Zoom Lens.
  • Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 SLD DG Macro Lens with built in motor - Deluxe Lens Care & Cleaning Kit.

I have a Nikon D5000 and its been great over the last three years the flip lcd viewer was a great option as I captured many unique shots. Can't go wrong with the D5100........

Xmas is coming soon so hang tight if you can, major deals !!

Back