NEW Canon 60D DSLR Camera

fishsticks

No clue about reefs
Hi everyone just wanted to post up about this new camera i purchased, The Canon 60D DSLR Camera. I currently have a new tank being built and i decided to purchase a camera to follow along with my build. Also i want to be able to take great pictures like d2mini. i noticed your camera an the pictures you take,it kinda inspired to get a camera. i have one sample shot its a soda can lol. sorry ill find other stuff. this camera is wayyy to complicated for a newb like myself. d2mini can u give me pointers. thanks again everyone for looking at my can. :frustrat:

IMG_0044.jpg

Awesome!

Shoot in full manual only and shoot in RAW, not jpg.
Learn all about Shutter Speed, Aperture (f-stop) and ISO. Get those three things and you are golden.
Take advantage of canon's high iso/low noise capability to give you faster shutter speeds.
Shoot, shoot and shoot some more. Practice makes perfect.
And also learn how to process your pics in a decent software. Try downloading the free trial of Adobe Lightroom for all your organizational and processing needs. I would at least get this... then something like photoshop down the road if you need more.

Awesome!

Shoot in full manual only and shoot in RAW, not jpg.
Learn all about Shutter Speed, Aperture (f-stop) and ISO. Get those three things and you are golden.
Take advantage of canon's high iso/low noise capability to give you faster shutter speeds.
Shoot, shoot and shoot some more. Practice makes perfect.
And also learn how to process your pics in a decent software. Try downloading the free trial of Adobe Lightroom for all your organizational and processing needs. I would at least get this... then something like photoshop down the road if you need more.

i have no idea what your talking about, :bounce:.
seriously i dont

lol, well you are going to have to learn! :lol:
Seriously... no point in having a dslr if you are just going to shoot in auto. There's some real nice large sensor point and shoots out there that take great pics, like the Panasonic LX5.

This book helped me immensely when learning how to shoot in manual mode with my first dslr.
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/National-Geographic-Photography-Field-Guide/dp/079225676X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1291557552&sr=8-1]Amazon.com: National Geographic Photography Field Guide: Secrets to Making Great Pictures, Second Edition (9780792256762): Peter Burian, Bob Caputo: Books[/ame]

RAW is one of the settings on the camera, just like JPG - Fine, JPG - Medium, JPG - Low. Raw format holds the most information, most amount of pixels, doesn't compress the file like jpg does, and it doesn't apply in-camera post processing and effects. It's the most like a true film negative. But then you will need software like Adobe Lightroom to import the image and apply your own adjustments to contrast, saturation, sharpening, etc. You are taking control of your image, not your camera. Lots of info about raw vs jpg all over the interwebs. :)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dt6AvJ7WZSI&feature=related]YouTube - Photography Tutorial 1 (Fundamentals)[/ame]

You'll probably want something with a longer focal length, like an 85 or 105mm. That way if you want to take close up shots, you'll be able to take close-ups of stuff in the back of your tank as well as the front.

Yea, it's like any hobby, you get what you pay for ... what lens do you have now on your camera?

I don't know canon lenses. But I use a Tamron 90 macro and it comes in a canon mount i think. You will want something longer than 60 for sure. I even wish for more than 90 sometimes.

u cheat d2!!! so u have a macro lense... hmm. i thought u were using a great standard lense. forsure i must get that macro lense now. i was watching videos about those macro lenses and my god u can see bugs soo crystal clear as if they were 10 feet tall.

also d2 i have lightroom3 and when i save a raw file to the desktop and try to open it with lightroom it doesnt recognize the type of file.

Last edited:
my god u can see bugs soo crystal clear as if they were 10 feet tall.
>|<

774342271_3Moew-O.jpg

also d2 i have lightroom3 and when i save a raw file to the desktop and try to open it with lightroom it doesnt recognize the type of file.

Stick your card into the reader and let lightroom import the images directly from the reader (or you camera) to the hard drive in a folder you specify. No reason to copy your images to the desktop manually. I have a folder labeled with the year (2010 for instance) and then inside that is another folder called "130g Tank Pics". That's how my hard drive is set up. Every time i stick my card in the reader, i tell lightroom to import to that folder, in the Import dialog box. Lots of choices in that dialog box. Watch the lightroom tutorials on adobe's website.

If lightroom is still not recognizing your raw images, is your camera a brand new model? Sometimes it takes a little bit before they are supported.

i got it, i did some reading an lightroom needed an update. my cam is a new model. it needed to update the software. it tells you when updating what cameras will be included in the update.

heres a sample pic i messed around with. made it super colorful.

IMG_0053.jpg

Back