New Chemical Filtration

Doc

I don't work for anybody
I am going out on a limb and I changed my chemical filtration from carbon to a product from Seachem called Purigen. I am wondering if anyone has used it? It is supposed to be 10x more potent than carbon, cleaning the water and doing the same thing as carbon, but can last 6 months without needing a change. It is also rechargeable, so after it gets used up, it gets soaked in a solution to recharge the material and then you drop it back in your media bag. In theory, I should never have to buy anything again for chemical filtration...in theory. My LFS switched to it four months ago and the show tank he uses it on is sparkling clean. I am interested, so I went with it. I tossed out my carbon from the 90 and switched to the Purigen stuff. I will cross my fingers and see what happens

-Doc

I'd like to know how it works. Wont running it for 6 months cause bacteria and the nitrates? How often do you run carbon?

I've never used the Purigen.
I do like the Chemi-Pure Elite though and its supposed to last 4 to 6 months.

it is supposed to take out impurities for 6 months, after it loses its charge, then I imagine it will grow bacteria. It is almost a fine powder. I had to put it in a nylon sock before putting it in the media bag. feels cool though, kinda squishy. Almost rubbed it all over my body, but fought the urge

-Doc

Interesting,I like to try some of it.I have three filter cylinders on my sump,One has two bags of Chemipure,the second one has Chemipure elite and the third sits empty.I will try some in the empty cylinder.

Whats the cost and how would you recharge it?

Don't remember how to recharge it but it is all in the box. cost? don't know I got it from my LFS when they close.

cost was about $17 for a bottle that is supposed to treat 250 gallons. I put the whole thing between 2 media bags in the HOB filters. If it works, I will put another bottle in the 125 sump.

To recharge, once the white particles turn brown-ish is to soak the chemical in a plastic tub with a 1:1 bleach and water mixture for 24 hours. take it out and soak it in another mixture of RO water and prime for another 24 hours and let it dry. You are set for another 4-6 months. Now then, does it actually last that long? I will tell you. I hope to make it last through March and it will be totally worth it to not have to spend money on carbon anymore. All I know is that the water in my LFS DT tank is even cleaner than mine. I hope it works

-Doc

yes. I would change it at the start of each month. I was running two medium sized media bags in the two HOB filters and one large bag in the sump of the 125. They always looked great when I tossed them out, but I never wanted to take the chance of creating a bacteria problem so I may have thrown them away before their effectiveness was over. who knows. I am planning on watching this stuff a lot closer

-Doc

Doc,
I have been running Purigen for about 2 months now. I love the stuff. After about 3 days it was in it cleaned the water up real nice and made it sparkling clear. I also run carbon after my protein skimmer with it. I really do like the stuff and think it really does work very nicely. Would I recommend it if you use carbon? Yes, I would I think it really gets out what the carbon cannot. I will let you know when the time comes to recharge it.

I am running it WITHOUT carbon. that is what my friend at my LFS does. So all I have for chemical filtration is the purigen in my 2 HOB POS filters.

-Doc

You seriously recharge that stuff with Bleach? I dont even wash my hands with soap before I go into my tank. Am i being too cautious? Just seems like even a small amount of bleach in a tank would be bad?

that is why you soak it in prime after the bleach solution. kills the bad stuff before it does into your tank

-Doc

Back