New Clown Fish doesn't appear to be eating...

jupiler

Reefing newb
I just purchased a Clown Fish (my first saltwater fish :Cheers:) however, it doesn't appear to be eating. When I purchased him I was told to purchase frozen brine shrimp. Is this the correct food? It's been 3 days now and I'm affraid that something may happen to it.

When I put the food in the tank the fish just swims down to the bottom and seems to hide without making any effort to eat. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks!

It doesnt sound like your doing anything bad. Keep an eye out on him. sometimes it takes a couple of days to get usto the new environment.

brine has no nutritonal value to salt water fish try mysis shrimp. also a lot of people say to use garlic extract with the food it can help to get them to eat and is good for their immune system.

Garlic extract will boost their appetites. There are several brands of garlic extract made for fish, you should soak the food in it before feeding.

Brine shrimp, like daugherty said, isn't really healthy for fish, but it's fine for now. When you run out of brine, you should switch over to frozen mysis. Brine is like junk food for fish. There are lots of different types of frozen food out there, and fish usually do better if offered a variety. So you might also want to try a couple different kinds.

But it's not unusual for a new fish to take a few days to a week to get used to its new home and get comfortable eating.

Wow!! You are all quick to reply :o)

The tank has been running since Christmas Day. I put the last piece of live rock in the tank about a month ago.

I will take the advice on the garlic extract and see if that does the trick. Thanks so much!

I agree, give it about a week. They can live for longer than that without food so dont worry. But usually, if its been more than a week, something is not right.

my clown at first wouldn't eat pellets and then I tried Marine Cuisine frozen food and it goes after that and also seems to eat the mysis shrimp. They don't eat nearly as much as we tend to think they will.

Back