New clownfish ich

Joneskirby

Reefing newb
I just put my first fish . Pair of real clowns and 1 diamond goby 1 anemone. Everyone ate day 1 and 2 and looked great. Clown looked happy and active. Today after getting home I noticed ich on the clowns. 1 is hanging at the bottom not looking good fast. I have my uv sterilizer on and running now which I know wont help what's on them but hoping to stop a spread for future. I added garlic to the food. I forgot, my anemone is now in a ball. My water is perfect across the board. Any suggestions. I have a skimmer live rock and filtration 90 gal

Is this a newly established tank? Anemones need a mature tank, at least a year old. What kind of lighting do you have over the tank?

Keep feeding the clowns a variety of foods all mixed with garlic, about 3 x per day and if their immune system is up for it, they will beat the ich themselves.

+1 the clownds should be able to fight it off, but thats alot of fish to add at once. and anemonies dont only need perfect water conditions, they need an established tank, and need to bed fed 2-4 times a week

Yes it's is. I bought a inexpensive anemone for the clowns to hang. I have a qt tank to use for the next intro fish just thought it would be ok to start off with putting them in.

If you didn't QT these fish, QTing the next fish you add will be pointless because you'll just be adding them into an already infected tank. Also, I'm assuming you got a Condy anemone since you said it was cheap. Clown aren't hosted by those types, not to mention that they won't notice the difference whether there was an anemone in the tank or not.

The UV will only kill the ich that's in the water column, and only the parts that actually make it through the UV. It won't do anything about the stages of ich that are on the sand/rock and actually on the fish.

Back