New coral to ID? And a few questions.

VAreef

Reefing newb
I found a new coral that is growing on a rock with some clove polyps I purchased a while back. The cloves are spreading and also there are some xenia growing on it now but I can't seem to id this other small coral that has started to grow. The picture isn't great but they are kind of zooanthid shaped with a pink center and kind of a greenish orange mouth and fringe. Also since these have sprung up in between the cloves and xenia will they survive? It's almost as if this area of rock is under a small territory grab by clove polyps, xenia, and this new one. Should I try breaking the rock up and moving the xenia and this new coral to their own area to grow? I might be able to break it with a pair of bolt cutters but I'm afraid of disturbing the clove polyps which are finally taking off. Also yet another question. I have a zoo rock that has a small amount of polyps that get no light. Can I shave them off with a razor blade or something and will they grow elsewhere? Or should I leave them be? They don't really open and will most likely die but I can't move the rock into to many differant positions for them to get some light.

aqua3150.jpg

Last edited:
Va very strange,looks like an Alveopora.I counted 12 tentacles on the polyps.Check to see if it has a calcaceous(sp?)base.If so definitely Alveo either small encrusting kind or branching.I definitely keep it,Goni and Alveo are my fav corals and I have never seen them in pink.Heck I would even start target feeding it with cyclops or any zooplankton diet.That would be one heck of a hitchhiker.Congrats...

I have no idea how to check for a calcium type base to them. They seem to be growing in a small clump all from the same base. I went and counted and since they are small it does appear each one has around 12 little tenticles. When they first showed up I thought maybe they were baby clove polyps until I actually got some clove polyps starting to grow. I add in some photoplankton a few times a week. Every now and then I actually target feed all the corals with it. Should I start using more photoplankton? I use roughly 5 ml twice a week and only target feed every two weeks or so once a week max. I do target feed my button polyps alot as I love watching them grab the food and suck it in with their tenticles. Do I need to get rid of some of the xenia so they can grow without competition?

When the lights are out shine a flashlight and see if you see a small whitish base.If you find a hard base you definitely have a Alveopora.Alveo can grow like large.It would be pretty as heck if it does.Although they can benefit from the occasional dose of phyto,a meaty diet is better.Try a zooplankton diet like cyclopeeze, even grounded up flake food rich in seafood and less algae.Target feeding with a baster is best and maybe turning off the pumps since they are slow eaters.But that depends more on your flow.The other corals could choke out the Alveo,not so much the cloves as much as the xenias especially if they are blocking the light(if you can separate them).BTW they like moderate to high light, under halides I would keep them mid level or lower.Check out my thread "I'm Bringing Sexy Back" listed under reef photography.I have a branching Alveopora pick(last pic with epoxy around the base).Does the polyp look similar?

Back