New coralife 29 gallon biocube....What fish???

eveningstar15

Reefing newb
I have a coralife 29 gallon biocube. Coralife protein skimmer, heater, 20lbs base rock, 10lbs live rock, 2" live sb, intank media basket with filter floss, purigen, chemi pure elite. I was thinking about getting a false clown, yellow watchman goby/pistol shrimp, and maybe a purple firefish. If I got a pistol shrimp would I be able to keep other types of shrimp with it? Would that be the limit on the fish or could I getting maybe one more? Suggestions? What could I get for cuc, I think I like the crabs better then the snails. Is then any starfish that would be good for my tank? What about a Porcelain Crab, anyone have any experience with those? I would also like to get some of the easier corals down the road. Any input or suggestions would be greatly appreciated !!

Three fish (added gradually) would be your limit in a tank that size.

If you REALLY want the pistol, be prepared to replace your CUC on a consistent basis. A mix of crabs and snails is really best. Nass snails for the sand bed and a mix of algae eaters would be great.

Stocking is the best part. Fun stuff :)
+1 Erin, you're going to want snails as well, they do things crabs can't. I wouldn't recommend a star fish for a 30 gallon. You can start with some easy corals now, so much fun to watch them grow and spread. Firefish can be timid and easily startled. Does the biocube have a screen or mesh top so he can't jump out?

everyone has their own opinion on number of fish that should be kept in a tank - but I think you are ok with the 3 fish you listed and maybe could add a smaller one. As for fish - I recommend clown gobies, bi-color blenny, the smaller highfin gobies.

I run a little 8g nano with a false clown, watchman/pistol combo and am about to add a firefish (my 8g however has a very large canister attached to it which effectively doubles the water volume - I even run a hob skimmer). Its funny you mention your fish choices because I am about to transfer a purple firefish from my main display over to the nano,

My pistol shrimp is a tiny dude (1 cm) - I see him maybe once a month - usually getting busy with the watchman opening up another entrance. They are so much fun to see together. I've stayed away from other shrimps and crabs out of fear from them preying on the tiny pistol. Shrimps and crabs will eat anything. I had a sexy shrimp for the longest time so other tiny ornamental shrimps should be OK. I totally agree with snails - stay away from turbo snails - they get huge and add some nassarius snails and a conch -they will move and clean your sandbed.

As for corals - any kind of euphyllia are easy (hammer, anchor, frogspawn), xenia are easy (though I have no luck with it myself), zoa's, birdsnest sps, leathers/Kenya trees are very easy but they get huge quick.

this is probably the best part of a new tank - adding all the livestock!

Last edited:
I have a coralife 29 gallon biocube. Coralife protein skimmer, heater, 20lbs base rock, 10lbs live rock, 2" live sb, intank media basket with filter floss, purigen, chemi pure elite. I was thinking about getting a false clown, yellow watchman goby/pistol shrimp, and maybe a purple firefish.

Would I be able to add a tailspot blenny also or would that be to many fish??

That's a hard question to answer. I am known for heavily stocking, but I don't recommend it. I started with freshwater and eventually built up discipline to have 8 or more fish in 16 gallons, and to overstock my 10 gallon saltwater, but again, only after discipline.

That said, when overstocking a 29 cube, care has to be taken to make sure you select comparable fish because aggression, especially intraspecial, will be increased. Territories will be smaller.

I'm going to say no. 3 fish, added slowly should be your max until you prove to yourself that you can handle further stocking. You will already have 2 gobies (firefish are in the Gobidae family) which could cause problems (likely not, though). But if you add the blenny, the substrate and lower rock work now have to be divided by the pistol/watchman pair and the blenny, which will usually fight in larger tanks, even.

I have the same tank, and over a period of like 4-5 months, I added four fish. 2 Clowns, a Lawnmower Blenny, and a Green Mandarin (Eats Pellets finally :bounce:). My params have been fine, so far. Also, I wouldn't recommend doing any SPS in the tank unless you can keep them very high. The stock lighting on it (assuming you have PCs) are only about 2 watts per gallon. I retrofit some LEDs in there for a little extra light, but even with them, I only have about 3 watts per gallon. Softies/LPS and some easy SPS put fairly high up will do fine. Also, I'd recommend putting some LR rubble in the middle chamber. Good for pods to breed and good for filtration. Other then that, good tank to have! If you were to add the 3rd set of PC lights, then I think you'd be all right for SPS/Nems if you keep them fairly high up (as long as the nem is willing to stay there :p). Also, I'd replace the stock pump if I was you, it only does like 200 something GPH which is not a lot of flow. Lead to a huge Cyano out-break in my tank (coupled with over-feeding).

Back