New corals, but one looks like its bleaching....

mennazeher04

Reefing newb
Hey everyone I purchased some corals at the frag swap in PA at "That Fish Place". It was a awesome swap. I purchased some SPS corals for some great deals. One of them which I have no idea what it is but its green with fuzzy polyps. I took some pics on my blackberry because the battery in my camera was dead. How do you load them up from the blackberry? I have T-5 nova extremes 8x54watts. I have the SPS frags about 6-7 inches from the top. My calcium is around 440ppm. I just did a water change yesterday about 20%. The coral was good on the sand bed Saturday and Sunday and then i come home from work today and i see that its turning white on its backside. Any help will be great thanks.:mrgreen:

What kind of light was it under before? You should have acclimated it to your light -- started it out on the bottom of the tank and gradually moved it up to the top. It also sounds like it could be due to pH, alkalinity or temperature swings. Are those all stable and in a good range?

and to load pics from your blackberry, use photobucket. You have to email the pic from your pic folder to your photobucket email address that's given to you. Then copy and paste the img code to the site here.

What kind of light was it under before? You should have acclimated it to your light -- started it out on the bottom of the tank and gradually moved it up to the top. It also sounds like it could be due to pH, alkalinity or temperature swings. Are those all stable and in a good range?

The guy i purchased it from said he had it under 400w metal halides. I let all the corals sit on the sand bed for like 2 days. Was that not enough? Im going to do some tests tonight when i get home from work. Ill post them then.

432 watts of T-5 will bleach corals as quick as throwing them under 1000 watts of metale halides.So could be the problem.
But like Biff said,it could also be your alkalinity,PH,phosphates.Whats your test results for those?

Ok I got the pics from my black berry to load up, but they are very shitty. I will have some better pics later on when i get home from work and i will also have the params when i get home from work.

first pic is the Red Digi from what i was told.

utf-8BSU1HMDAwOTcuanBn.jpg

Secong pic is the one thats starting to bleach
utf-8BSU1HMDAwOTYuanBn.jpg

heres another view of the same coral.
utf-8BSU1HMDAwOTkuanBn.jpg

here is a pic of the green polyp birdsnest.

Again i will have better pics later and if you can try to ID the one that bleaching. If not i will have better pics later. Thanks again.:mrgreen:

ok here is some better pics that might be able to help but they're still not the best sorry.
061.jpg

056.jpg

Here is the back side of it thats bleaching.

I also checked my params. Here they are
TEMP: 80.0
DKH: 9
AMM: .25
NITRITE: 0
NITRATES: 0
PHOSPHATE: 0
CALCIUM: 420
When I was mounting the new frags i had to move some rocks around to make it so they would fit right. I think that is why i have ammonia present. Could that be the reason? Also that coral is the only one that is bleaching. All the other SPS corals that i got have all their polyps fulling extended and colored up nicely.:mrgreen:

RTN= Rapid Tissue Necrosis

Tissue Necrosis and Slow Tissue Necrosis (STN) are used to describe an event of tissue coming off the coral or the coral turning white, which is known as bleaching. The speed at which this happens determines whether it is called rapid or slow tissue necrosis. Rapid tissue necrosis happens when the coral is almost completely white within 24 hours. Slow tissue necrosis can take days, weeks or even months. There has been much discussed on what causes this problem. It is thought to be caused by different strains of Vibrio bacteria.

Last edited:
RTN= Rapid Tissue Necrosis

Tissue Necrosis and Slow Tissue Necrosis (STN) are used to describe an event of tissue coming off the coral or the coral turning white, which is known as bleaching. The speed at which this happens determines whether it is called rapid or slow tissue necrosis. Rapid tissue necrosis happens when the coral is almost completely white within 24 hours. Slow tissue necrosis can take days, weeks or even months. There has been much discussed on what causes this problem. It is thought to be caused by different strains of Vibrio bacteria.

Hey thanks for the info Dcan. Does RTN make it bleach partially like it did and then just stop? It was perfectly fine when it was on my sandbed for the 2 days and then as soon as I put it up on the rock higher up in the aquarium it bleached at the bottom part shown in the pics above. It looks like it has stopped, like it doesnt look like its getting worse. So does that rule out RTN or STN? Do you think i should put it back on the sand bed for a while to see what it does or move it lower in the aquarium?

Back