New Corals

That settles it. They gotta be Purple Death.

I went back tonight and snatched up 2 more of these frags for $29 each. :mrgreen:

Wanna see 'em?

113.JPG

:mrgreen:

15_916931.JPG

:mrgreen:

110_547241.JPG

The light fixture with all 6 of the 13w bulbs running. It gets hot......
23.JPG

The cure to the heat problem......... I hope
2_828125.JPG

Power supply for the cooling fan
21.JPG

Corals under all that lighting goodness
26.JPG

More lighting goodness
25.JPG

Pink palys, not looking so pink anymore. Too much white light.
27.JPG

Unidentified LPS. I think it's an acan, but not sure. Can't get a decent shot of it.
28.JPG

29.JPG

I think I need more actinic lighting if I want the colors to stay nice and bright. Right now, there are (3) 10000K bulbs, (1) 4500k bulb and (2) actinics.

Isnt that 4500k bulb way too low? Closer to the algae loving red wavelength? wouldnt 6700k be a lot better?

It really is a sweet little tank! Have you seen any of the marine planted tanks RC?

Isnt that 4500k bulb way too low? Closer to the algae loving red wavelength? wouldnt 6700k be a lot better?

It really is a sweet little tank! Have you seen any of the marine planted tanks RC?

One of my actinics blew out. I don't have a spare. 4500k was all they had at the big box store. It's only temporary. I'm ordering new bulbs next week.

It is REALLY yellow/orange.

The hair algae in the tank is on the live rock I removed from the 30g display tank. I've never been able to get rid of it. It doesn't grow any worse, but I can't make it go away either.

There's 2 small emerald crabs in that tank. They do eat it, but they are so little. Might take a year, but I'm confident they will eat all of it eventually.

I bought the 4500K a few days ago. I planned on running all 6 bulbs, but the fixture was getting REALLY hot with all those lights and ballasts inside. I unhooked 3 bulbs until my fan came tonight. That 4500K was one of the ones I unhooked. I also unhooked 2 of the 10K. I've just been running a 1 actinic and 2 10K this week. So, tonight is the first time I actually ran all the lights. It won't hurt anything to run the 4500K for the weekend and a couple days next week until the new bulbs arrive from Catalina. Might make my corals grow a bit? :mrgreen:

I'd sure like to find some 12K, 14K or 20k PC 13w bulbs. Anybody know where to get some of those? These are 2-pin design. I REALLY want to color up these corals and 10k ain't gonna do it.

Last edited:
Sent Reef Geek an email. Hopefully I'll hear something back next week. :Cheers:

I found out these are Biax T4 bulbs. Thats a step in the right direction. At least now I know what style they are.

Back