new cycle in 6month tank

Dannyrb26

Reefing newb
did cleaning my canister filter clean all the good bacteria i needed to eat nitrites, nitrates, and ammonia start a new cycle? i dunno what happened everything was good expect phosphate which is at 0 now

Nope, it didnt, cleaning the cannister filter could have released the stuff into your tank.

For these tanks we dont want cannister filters or any form of freshwater filters because they harbor nitrates and phosphates.

So ditch it and get a good skimmer installed :)

for now until you get a sump you could just take any filter material out of it and just run carbon or a phosphate remover as needed..

You dont need sump you can get a skimmer that will hang on the back of you tank until you get the sump. Jmck is right what you have is a filter. They are not good in the marine hobby at all.

Wait, you have a skimmer and a canister filter? (Your reply was unclear to me) If that's the case, just disconnect the canister and find someone with a freshwater tank that will use it. They're basically useless for saltwater, except possibly to run carbon once in a while.

If you do have just a canister, I would look into getting a protein skimmer to replace the canister filter with. There are many that will tell you that you don't need to run a skimmer, but after seeing the sludge that mine pulls out, I won't ever run a tank without one personally

+1...the cleaning of the canister didn't cause the lost of bacteria, it's probably wise to get rid of it for now, and just commit to frequent water changes.

Back