New Design Time

Ian

Reefing newb
I know a few of you have mentioned a new design before, but I've now got some time to create a new design for the forum :D

Not just a new design in fact, but some really cool new features too :bounce:

If you have any suggestions on a new design, please do let me know in this thread. Even better, if there are sites that you like the colours of, or layouts then let me know in here so I can get some ideas of what you like (It doesn't need to be an aquarium site as an example).

Place dates as to when the thread is first posted and anytime it is reposted. :shock: Cut the threads off to new replies after a certain number of replies. Three hundred replies and more is ridiculous for a single thread. Who is going to read or reread the thing to see what has already been written or replied too. :twocents: A feature that will keep you from being notified when selected people reply to threads. :grumble:

I'll take these ideas in to consideration :)

Have you got any design specific ideas or thoughts - i.e. on colours or images?

I like the colors a lot! but... when the page is loaded on a smartphone the livingreefs logo gets chopped in half now and the vertical menu instead of the old horizontal style creates about a page and a half of scrolling everytime you load a new page creating a small hassle. maybe we can change it back to horizontal as I am on livingreefs mainly on my pda and I know there are other users ie lionfish that use them too. other than that it looks really great. I like the blue. thanks.

I like the overall feel of the Living Reefs site...I personally don't think you need to change any "navigational" components as everyone is used to getting around and finding what they need.

One thing I would like to see enhanced is the "chat" feature...it doesn't seem to be very robust...when we were using it last night, it seemed like it would "freeze" up every now and then and I'd have to close out my browser and re-signin again.

If something could be done to upgrade the chat module I think that would be a huge improvement and would encourage more people to use it.

Just my $0.02 :)

OK...I have another suggestion while I'm at it :)

The navigation menu component on the left margin...it's really a duplicate of whats available along the top of the screen. I say get rid of the "The Community" and "Photo Gallery" folders in the "Navigation Menu" component and drop it down a few...bring up the "Online Users" so it sits directly below the "User CP" module at the top of that margin.

Since you have to have the advertisers component in the right hand margin, get more useable stuff closer to the top of the screen...the navigation stuff is redundant and really not necessary with the navigation at the top of the screen.

My additional $0.02 FWIW :)

I don't really have a problem with any of the navigation features myself. too me the peach colors kinda gags me, and the logo is a little cheasy. maybe some sort of blue color to keep the theme going? maybe a cool logo of a reef, with lots of acro's in the foreground, and a school on anthias (those are just for ya'll doc and reef) in the background.

by the way, what is the big circle with the little circle to the top left in the logo supposed to be? it reminds me of a stereo knob :)

Back