new direction

kiteboarder123

Reefing newb
I have had many planted tanks in the past! Now i have a income and want to try the saltwater scene to remind me of the tropics as I will be in this farm house all winter.

I have a 15 gal tank with heater, HOB and standard lights. I want to try the saltwater stuff with small initial inverstment. I guess i should stick to a fish only tank, but i was thinking of using live rock and sand as well. I want it to be pretty but dont want to spend too much at first. (im thinking just a few simple fish) I dont wana buy $$$$ lights so i guess corel is out of question unless someone can tell me other wise. Please help me with a check list of what i need to start my setup and let it cycle (skimmer, hydrometer etc..... thanks)

With a 15g tank you can do it with only a heater, live rock and sand. The light you were using originally will work fine for a fish only tank. For a tank your size you don't need to worry about using a skimmer or hob filter, weekly water changes will be ok. With a 15g tank you'll be limited to 1-2 small fish but, you could add some cool inverts too.

Brian is right. If you are not keeping corals, anemones or clams, the lights that you have will be fine. For a tank that small, you won't need a filter or protein skimmer. You will need to do 10 to 20% water changes once or twice a week, though. You will have to buy a powerhead to move the water around. Saltwater fish need more flow than freshwater fish. Instead of buying a hydrometer, get a refractometer. Refractometers are much more accurate and don't need to be replaced like hydrometers do.

Live rock is very important. You should get 1 to 2 lbs per gallon for your tank. You don't need to buy live sand though, just regular dry sand will be fine.

What kind of fish are you thinking of getting? Gobies, clownfish and firefish would be good for a tank that size.

OKay, Im suprised you both are saying i dont need a filter! Can i use my HOB instead of a power head? or use them jointly. I was thinking of simple saltwater fish to start with them maybe one or 2 invertabrate. Now say i DID want to do a 15 gal reef take with very basci or simple corals etc. What additional stuff would i need. I have 150-200 bucks to make this tank happen!

I have really shott internet so surfing the web is hard for me. If you can send me a link to a good basic mini reef DIY site i would love it. THanks a ton!

I wouldn't use the HOB filter at all. They tend to lead to poor water quality in saltwater. It's really a freshwater technology that tends to do more harm than good when you try to use it in saltwater tanks. Just get a powerhead instead. You can get a MaxiJet for cheap (around $20).

To even have a basic reef tank, you'd need new lights. This would be a perfect light for a tank that size:
70W Metal Halide Pendant Lights

And unfortunately, you're not going to get much cheaper than that. Lights are expensive.

aye i wont ask too many questions about HOB. I grow hydroponics i understand all the lighting requriement and the cost. So its Fish only. Kinda sounds easy hahha!

if you google HOB refugiums, you'll get plenty of links to forum threads where people walked through there refugium builds

I'm not sure about this so correct me someone if it wont do much of anything. But what about just using a HOB filter empty of media to move water as well?

And Welcome to the site!!

I'm not sure about this so correct me someone if it wont do much of anything. But what about just using a HOB filter empty of media to move water as well?

And Welcome to the site!!
Honestly, the amount of water that they move doesn't make it worth while in an SW type tank.

Back