New Duncan and Zoathids - and they opened!

lightcs4

Loving to learn
I thought I would share my two new additions, a small three head duncan and a small orange zoathid rock (lots of of zoathids for a small rock). I am really excited as both the duncans and zoathids opened up really well. Very encouraging after struggling with the last zoathids. Although all of them were not open for the picture, just about all are open now :^::bounce::^::bounce:.

orange_zoathid3_small.JPG

orange_zoathid1_small.JPG

duncan4_small.JPG

duncan2_small.JPG

duncan1_small.JPG

Thanks, both of you. The Zoathids were a a gift from the LFS. The other zoathids were three heads on a chip of rock that cost $10. He also helped me pick out the Duncans. I will definitely be saying thank you by giving repeat business. I'm really excited now that I can see some success for the future.

Kind of ironic, last week I purchased some Zoas and a Duncan. It's my first Duncan and i'm excited.

Remember to spot feed the Duncan, they like meaty food. Mine loves mysis. I use a turkey baster.

Any of you with Duncans find they close up from time to time,? They open up again real well within an hour. I just thought they would be open 24 / 7. They seem very healthy otherwise and the zoathid are doing great.

Thanks Yote!

It is opened real big right now under the MH lights, which makes me feel better about them. Just thought they would stay opened. They are eating real well when I feed them mysis shrimp. I know they don't *have* to be fed, but I'm hoping to encourage some growth and new heads.

Yeah, I think they are doing well. The Duncans are opened under the LEDs. The research I did said they would normally be opened 24/7. The orange Zoathids are opening each morning (all of them, around 30).

I am going to take out the three heads of green Zoathids as they aren't responding to being touched by the scrub pad I use for cleaning. Shame, they looked really nice when opened at the LFS.

It won't hurt to leave them in another week or two. It's been three weeks already. I'll go ahead and wait a bit longer. Thanks.

I would leave them. I have zoas that took over two months to open. As long as their stems(not sure of the real name)are healthy looking their fine.

Wow, you must be very patient. Two months is a long time. I'll leave them. There is still some purple in the heads, they just don't look like they are doing anything. They aren't hurting anything though and I don't plan on making any new purchases for at least a few weeks, maybe a couple months, so I don't need the room. Not like there isn't plenty of room as it is.

Since everyone likes pics - and since I got the new camera, here are some new pics. I used GIMP to resize them, in case anybody is looking for a free editing tool. It's not quite Photoshop, but has some heavy duty editing tools and comes in both Linux and Windows version (Mac too, I think).

My favorite! There are three heads, but it is hard to see the two behind the larger one:
duncan1.JPG

Two of the same Zoanthid rock. They are bright orange in the center but I just can't get the camera to show it. Camera takes great pics of everthing else though.
zoanthids1.JPG

zoanthids2.JPG

OK, here is a shot from tonight. I may get one with just the actinics at a later time. I had to use the flash for this one.

full_tank_shot.jpg

Back