New Filter

troybuckle

Reefing newb
So after yet another flood last night, I had to remove my sump. Im sad about this, but it had to be done. I went ahead and got this canister filter it’s a Rena Filstar xP4. Sort of overkill for my 50g, but what the hell.

Set up was easy and the system is very clean and silent. It looks like a good system, I should be able to trust it more then my sump.

IMAG0017-1.jpg

I don’t know a lot about these types of filters though. This one has four baskets where I can run all sorts of different things listed on the second pic. Right now all I have is some basic sponge, bio-stars, and bio-chen zorb. I also filled one basket with live rock rubble from my sump.

IMAG0018.jpg

I think I am going to get some Nitra-Zorb and some zeolite ammonia remover, for another basket. Anyone have any other suggestions? I have lots of room to run other things.

Last note: I want to get a cheep hang on back skimmer to go with this as well, anyone have any suggestions?

You'd probably be better off with just a good protein skimmer instead of this one...the sponge and biostars may give you a nitrate problem.
Hopefully someone else chimes in that has this system with good results...

Thats what i head about this type of filter as well, but i have no choice now. I think if i run the nitrate remover and clean the spunge during every waterchange I sould be alright.

Anyone out there using this type of filter?

• The siphon got clogged which slowed down the flow of the water draining into the sump.
  • The return pump stated to pump enough water out of the sump to cause the float switch to drop, and then the auto-top off stated to pump in more water.
  • Eventually there was too much water in the system and the top tank overflowed.

It could have been a snail in the u-tube of the overflow which caused it, because I found two snails in the overflow box.

If I got another float switch and placed it in the top tank I could have set it to shut down the entire system. Which was what I was going to do, until I drop my overflow box and smashed it. Then I was looking at like $200 to fix the sump set up or $250 for the new filter, So I went with the filer because this was the 3rd flood and each time I thought I had it fixed and I didn’t so I don’t want to take that chance again.

Thats what i head about this type of filter as well, but i have no choice now. I think if i run the nitrate remover and clean the spunge during every waterchange I sould be alright.

Anyone out there using this type of filter?

Ahh, but Troy, we always have a choice. It's free will. Though, I'm not going to get into a whole theological debate with you over predestination and free will.
I can only say, these types of filters are poo poo'd in the saltwater world and with good reason. But, if you want to show up to a Century with a Huffy that is your choice. Or, is it?

you are quite the philosopher Sarah, BUT your point is well taken ( i do have a Huffy, it's the bomb - no really, it is a bomb)

Back