new fish arriving tomorrow!

MamaJones

proud reefer!
it's been a long time since I've been on here, but we are getting a new fish shipment for my hubby's bday this weekend. Our 90 is 9 months old now and we've been itching for new fish for months...it's finally the right time, too...since we'll be home and not dealing with holidays galore.

So, we are getting a Naso Tang, Spotted Mandarin, and an Evan's Anthia.
All ordered small sizes current specs are: 90 gallon reef with 1 clownfish, 1 goby, 1 wrasse, 1 blenny, 1 chromis, 2 sally lightfoot crabs, snails, and reef crabs

I've done my research with these fish and everyone should get along. I'm worried about the mandarin but I've always wanted one & I'm willing to go buy copepods if he doesn't do well in the beginning. (although, I'm thinking/hopeing my new fish will)

Any experience with these new fish would be very welcome.

i see some problems here, 1. the naso, it will out grow your tank fast. 2. you only have one chromis, they dont do well by themselves. and 3. buying copepods at the rate your mandarin will wat them will get very expensive, i suggest setting up a safe pod breeding ground where they can reproduce quickly and with no predators to eat them

I agree with both above.
1- A 4' tank is too small for a naso.
2- Your tank is too "new" (less than a yr) for a mandarin. It will wipe out your pods and you will not be able to buy enough to keep it alive. A few pods is not enough.
3- Evansi anthias are very difficult. I would suggest a lyretail (Pseudanthias squamipinnis) or bartlett. They are much easier to keep alive.

to add to the negativity I would get rid of those sally lightfoot, they can be horrible predators for the smaller fish in the aquarium. I got one that was quite large and in the coming month or so had a few "disappearances" with no one to blame except the sally.

Wow. Ummm... These comments must not be making you too happy. Sorry :(

The naso will outgrow your tank eventually. Out of all the tangs, they are a type that need some of the most space. Lots of other tangs will do just fine their entire lives in a tank that size, but nasos grow extra big, extra fast.

I tend to disagree about the mandarin. I think a 9 month old tank is probably mature enough for one. If you don't have a fuge, you probably want to create a "pod stack" of rocks in an area of your tank. That's just a pile of live rock rubble where the crevices are small enough that your fish can't get in and eat the pods. It gives the pods a protected area to reproduce in your tank. Eventually they'll overflow into other areas of the tank, providing the fish with food.

If the mandarin eats frozen food, even better.

iyih, yih, yih...
not negative, but definitely good advice.

For the Naso, we are planning on getting a bigger tank someday. How fast is this growth we are talking about? I know they get big, but I thought I had a couple of years. He should be 1-2 inches in size when we get him. Will he be fine in a 90 for now?

The chromis was a set, but one of them died while we were visiting family over the holidays. Should I get another one?

I was afaid a lyretail would be too aggresive? As the info said they were semi-agg. and I have pretty peaceful fish in there already. I thought the Evans personality would mix well.

I only intend on buying copepods once as just a boost to the system. I do think/hope the tank is old enough...thanks for the suggestion about maneuvering the rock. We do have some places in there I think fish can't get to already, but i can make a bigger space. Do you mean vertical space or more sand bed space?

& Joe says the fish shouldn't arrive until Thursday cause we ordered them after 2p.

get rid of sallys? I've already been thinking of that. Now how do I catch them! ahhh!

they are very tricky, like super fast spiders....

might try baiting him, i never did but thought about it after the fact...

might take two people , one to move rocks and one to net them. They are def not easy to capture.

I personally think the mandrine will be alright.Theres already plenty of places in the rock that a mandrine want be able to get to.But you can take some smaller pieces of rock and just pile up in a back corner somewhere.

All I can say about catching sallies,is good luck:D

Back