New fish has ick?

Lukeduke

Reefing newb
I have a 55g tank with a couple of feather dusters, 2 peppermint shrimp, a few snails and a pink tipped annenome. i have hat a percula clown for under a week, and he is already showing signs of ick. the tips of his fins are rotting it seems and he has three or four white spots. i have a tank that i can use for QT but he is the only fish i have. any suggestions on treatments?

your temp is low. it should be between 78-82. You Ph seems a bit low, are you testing at night?

We need a pic of your fish to know if it is Ich, a parasite, fin rot, or other bacterial infection. You never want to treat your fish in your dispay tank (DT) as it can be difficult or impossible (like with copper) to get rid of the medicine and some medications will kill all your interts.

Best of luck to you.

-Dr Marco :sfish:

Have to agree temp is low and PH. I always test at the same time. Thatway I know if my tank changes.

l_150ae61ad6656cd27c3447b70106672b.jpg

l_2ff952fcd85866232ac1525a168bb95f.jpg

is he eating? Many fish (especially clowns) will get over a disease like Ich if they are not stressed out and are eating. Think of it like us getting a nasty flu, the more liquids and rest we get, the faster we heal. If he is eating, give him emerald entree, soaked in garlic (which will boost his immune system and may help fight the Ich - if that is what it is, I cannot tell from the pics).

Give it time. Fish that I have had with Ich go two directions: heal on their own with no help from me OR try to treat aggressively with medications, and crap and they die. It is hard to imagine, just sitting down and doing nothing, but it may just pull through.

They also have med food that you could try. He doesn't look bad and seeing he's eating I would try what the doc said.

"No Ick" has been working pretty well for me. It has no copper in it and is bio-degradeable. Which means it takes longer but is safe for your inverts.

Selcon is a good product to reduce disease and illness outbreaks.All it is a vitamin enrichment,one drop per cube of fish food is all thats needed.Like others said,clowns can pull threw if given a good diet.

whats wrong with pellets?and thes pellets have vitamins and garlic in them and peppermint shrimps love them

You don't need to get any more fish till this is gone. but your cleaned shimp will clean your fish..I had the ich on 2 of my clowns and the shimp took care of it took about 2 to 3 weeks... do your water changes every week... if it gets real bad you will have to catch the fish and try to cut it off and that hard to do.. your fish store can do this for you..

yote is dead-on young one. using pellets will increase the nutrient levels in the water. It is bad for your water quality. Frozen food is always better.

Back