New Fish, what to get... Total Newbie

SlyRider

Reefing newb
I am finally ready to go buy a new fish. I have had three little damsels, (Domino, yellow fin, and blue), and am wanting to get something that can live with these guys. If i have to, i can catch them, but my local LFS doesnt really give credit, so I will just be giving them away. My tank is a standard 55gal. I was thinking in the lines of a mated pair of clowns, or maybe a dwarf angel. Any thoughts. I want something that is like WOW for my first fish without spending a fortune and somewhat hardy. :D

I think a dwarf angel may be a good bet for a 55 gallon tank. Be careful with them though if you plan to have corals. Some will nip at various corals. How long has your tank been up and running? If i was you i would catch those damsels and give them away. They will do nothing but stress your new fish, especially when they grow up.IMO

Is your tank going to be fish only, or do you plan to have a reef?

I have used clown fish to start my tanks in the past, and they seem hardy. There are many different species of clowns, and imo they are all great. you can even get some tank raised clown fish (bonus!).

As Queenangel77 said, a dwarf angel may be a good choice. The Flame Angel is a striking addition to any tank, and is rather hardy. Be careful though, many dwarf angels are tough to keep. For example, the Bicolor Angel is beautifyl, but delicate.

I to would pull those damsels out.Credit or not.They can be extremely aggressive and may beat up on any new fish you try to add.
Flames angels are pretty fish.Bright colors,active,fairly hardy.90% of the time they do fine in a reef tank.Coral Beauty angel is another one thats pretty.

I agree with Yote. Get rid of the damsels. A 55 gallon tank will only hold so many fish, and those damsels are just nasty. Years and years ago I cycled a 55 gallon tank with a damsel, and he terrorized every new fish I tried to add. He was healthy as a horse, but he was a b@$t@rd.

The damsels will try to kill any new fish you add. And they'll likely succeed too. They are awful community fish, so I'd suggest catching them and giving them back to the store. The yellowfin is probably the most peaceful of the three, but dominos and blues are some of the most aggressive types towards other fish (and each other).

Well, I ended up with a couple of Percula Clowns. They have already picked their clown corner and seem to be pretty happy. The LFS also had some really healthy looking foxfaces as well. Thought about it. Maybe in a month when the clowns get a little more acclamated. Also looked at getting a diamond gobbie, but the LFS said that they can be escape artists if you dont have a top on your tank. Is that true? Thanks for the suggestions.

Back