new fish

ltljoker

The Great Tang Herder
i have currently ordered a clown tang from my lfs. My quiestion is has anyone ever had one, how hardy are they. Are they like powder blues, easily ich maginate. I think they are beautiful fish but dont want it to aquire ich and die. I have had some problums with fish like the p[owder blue and brown so i no longer try with them. Any advice is really apreciated:bowdown:

Stop scuba diving in your tank and scaring the fish!!!! :mrgreen:

:12: What kind of diet did you feed the power blue and brown? Winy might be able to help you out with a diet which should keep your new tang healthy.

Clown tangs are way worse than powder blues. They rarely survive in captivity more than a few weeks and are one of the most difficult tangs to keep. I believe they should be left in the ocean. I tried two of them in my 240, failed both times. If you can cancel your order, I would. If you are not able to keep powder blues and powder browns then your chances of success with a clown tang are extremely slim.

I tried one ONCE #1
It was in the beginning after about 3 months of being up and running. He died from ich but it was before I had my UV Light. I would try one again if I didn't already have 3 Tangs well established. I fear it would be bullied to death and start some other problem. I've given up on adding any more Tangs. The three I've got I've had now 1 1/2 years.

well guys that what I was afraid of, the pet stores dont tell you theses things either the cowards. They just want our $. Sorry biff cant cancel it arrives tommorow. And kid I dont scare my fish when im in the tank the LOVE ME:Cheers:

he will be in QT for awhile so we will see how it goes. I mite even just have the lfs QT him for a while to see if it survives the shipping stress

The one I had was pretty healthy and hardy until I introduced a Powder Blue and then a Powder Brown Tang that got everyone fighting. Then they all got Ick. :( Then they all died. :shock:

Same shape David,:shock: you should have known better. I dont have anything that looks like the clown tang, hoping they all live in harmony:Cheers:

as long as i dont get any that are the same shape and color i should be alright, these 3 are very passive. the vlamingi can get a lil territorial but she mellows out after a couple of days

As mentioned by Biff they are on the difficult side as far as tangs but the fact you have a 210 will help out. Lot of folks get these fish and put them is a 55 or 75 gallon tank and wonder what happened. Just make sure you feed plenty of dried seaweed. I hope all works out.

James that will be the first thing that happens. He will be QT for probably the whole 2 weeks im at the rig. And melous Im gonna give it my best shot i fell in love with this fish the 1st time i saw it.

tangs are sensitive to copper so make shure it is not in it for a long time but at least 3 weeks and not much more than that

Well guys the new tang came in today and he is beautiful, he is cuurently in QT so if he gets ich i can treat it. Wish me luck His name is gonna be mystic from the xmen movie after that hot blue chick:mrgreen:

Good luck man, if it survives I would be very worried about it destroying your tank. A 210 is way too small to keep bullying at bay imo. Even though you don't have a single acanthurus in your tank they can be unpredictable. I had a sohal that rippped my naso vlamingi and my koran angelfish to shreds, I eventually had to get rid of him. He even tried attacking my longspine urchin biting the ends of its spines and occasionally getting stabbed badly. He was a ruthless asshole and I hear clowns are a step above sohal in the acanthurus house when it comes to aggressivness. I wish you the best of luck and hope you get a mellow one.

Back