New fish !

jarock

Reefing newb
I decided to get a new fish a leopard wrasse hopefully it does well, he is getting shipped tomorrow i will post pics when he comes out of hiding .

slowly drip acclimate if it takes a few hours so be it basically everything you probably already know, oh and dont bother her while your aclimateing

do you have to scoop a fish out of the bag with a net when done acclimating, i have always just emptied the bag with the fish in it in the tank is it a big deal?

You're not supposed to get the "bag water" in your tank. I usually just grab them with my hand.

Yep! During shipping (or even on the way home from the LFS), it does its "business" in the bag. You don't want to put that in your tank. Eeeew... It's an unnecessary introduction of waste into your system.

i normaly float the fish in the bag for a houre then when its rdy to come out i place a net over a bucket pore water into bucket catch him in net toss in tank :) drip works well also tho

I use the drip method. Float him/her in the closed bag for 20 minutes to get used to the temp. Then pour the fish with its bag water into a bucket. Drip for 30 minutes. Scoop out half the water volume, and then drip for another 30 minutes. Scoop the fish out with your hand or the net, and introduce it to your tank.

Depending on where you ordered the fish from, it will probably come with acclimation instructions. If so, I would probably follow those instructions.

Happy acclimating! Congrats on your new fish!

i have always just emptied the bag with the fish in it in the tank is it a big deal?

This can be bad news -- many LFS keep their fish an inverts on separate systems, and run copper in all their fish tanks while the fish are at the store. If you empty that water into your tank, you could very well be adding copper to your tank every time.

thanks for the input guys and gals!! never thought about that ! i get the fish and my shipment of corals in 4 hours !! got a hammer, neon green duncans 4 kinds of zoas, and the leopard wrasse will post pics once i am done acclimating everything :)

i normaly float the fish in the bag for a houre then when its rdy to come out i place a net over a bucket pore water into bucket catch him in net toss in tank :) drip works well also tho

Do you also at least gradually add some tank water to this before putting the fish in? The water parameters in the bag might be different than the water params in the tank. I know my lfs keeps their salinity at around 1.019, while mine is around 1.024. If you haven't lost fish due to shock, you got lucky.

Can't wait to see your new stuff, jarock!

i am just acclimating everything and i noticed my duncans are not attached to nothing , how on earth to i put them on a rock will it actually stick if i glue it to one ?

Back