New Flame Angel

bhill27

Reefing newb
Just bought a flame angel today. He looked good at the store but then i noticed on the way home he had 2 lttle white dots on his tail fin. i have 2 clowns in a qt tank right now and its the only one i have , what should i do?

Like i said in your earlier post

Well, for starters you really shouldnt add that many fish to any tank at once, that is pretty big jump for the bacteria to handle and you might cause a mini cycle. But i would qt him just like the clowns. Although, you run the risk of stressing him more because he is in the qt with the clowns and making your ich issues worse. I personally would return the flame, and wait until after you have put your clowns in the tank to get another one, and then qt that one.

But here is some info on how to treat ich:
Oh No! I have ich! What do I do?

Also, please remember your stocking limit on your tank. Overstocking a tank is an awesome way to stress fish out so they get ich.

Just bought a flame angel today. He looked good at the store but then i noticed on the way home he had 2 lttle white dots on his tail fin. i have 2 clowns in a qt tank right now and its the only one i have , what should i do?
I read the earlier post too and was just trying to figure it out...
Personally i would keep the angel and QT and do hypo on all of them...You already have him home and i think taking him back to the store where he probably got ich will be worse for him.....
Over stocking is just bad all around,,,but by QTing and treating you ensure your fish will not get ich no matter how stressed they are....,but overstocking also causes some aggression issues that will result in fights...

Last edited:
Although, if you didnt qt the fish that are already in your tank, there really isnt much point to qting them now. At least not for ich.

You cant test for ich or any other disease, and all a water test really cant tell if its good to add a fish or not. There are many factors in that, and having good water quality is one of them.

o by the way those 2 clowns arnt going in my 55 they are in the 48 reef tank they are my dads not mine, i think you were under the impression they were going in my tank

right now a snowflake and that angel are the only things in there. a did a fresh water dip before i put him in the tank and now he has only one spot left on his tail fin, im feeding him formula 2, and putting kent marine garlic extreme on it and the brine i fed him. hoping the garlic just boosts his immune system and help him fight it off cuz its not to bad from a visible point.

You should wait 3 weeks after the ich on the flame clears up. But i think as long as he is eating, and you are feeding him good stuff it should clear up pretty soon! :)

the plan is to have, my snowflake, flame angel, maroon clown, sharpnose OR leopard puffer not both, longnose hawfish, would this be okay or is it "over stocking" my tank?

No, that sounds good. Just add them slowly. I would also add the clowns last because they are the meanest of the bunch. You want to try and add the meanest fish last, it will prevent them from gaining a territory and harassing any new fish, usually . . .

Back