New FO aquarium

dragongoby

Reefing newb
I was running a freshwater tank for several months and was told by the guy at the store that in oder to turn my tank into a saltwater fish only tank all I would need to do was add the salt (instant ocean) in a bucket use a powerhead to mix it and add it like a normal water change until it gets up to 1.020-1.025. This is my first aquarium and untill I upgrade in a few months im going for just fish and my next one will have a reef in it. I was wondering if it was just that simple but was also wondering if it will destroy my existing biological filter and/or if it will need to be cycled again.
P.s. are protein skimmers and reverse osmosis filters only if you have live rock in it?
and also is sand absolutely necesary or will the gravel that is already in it suffice for 2 or so months before i upgrade to a 55 or 70 gallon

Last edited:
you will have to re-cycle the tank. get some new sand that is made for salt tanks. this will help give you live sand for the upgrade. why have two full blowen cycles. (it should help to make a smaller cycle in the upgrade if even one) protein skimmers help to take out organics from the water. they are needed IMO for any tank be it FO or reef. i would put at least ten to twenty pounds of live rock in the tank as the live rock is a major part of the filtration to a salt tank.

they are not absolutely needed but they do help make the water better and look nice to. it usually is the biggest part of the biological filtration for you tank. the rock and the sand.

Im getting a young snowflake eel so would it be okay for a month or two without live rocks do you think? Im just raising the gravity and im almost there.

Im getting a young snowflake eel so would it be okay for a month or two without live rocks do you think? Im just raising the gravity and im almost there.

what do you think the eels chances of surviving are during the cycle? And would it be better if I used live sand from my LFS that sais it minimalises amonia spikes?

Your best bet is to break the tank down completely and restart using saltwater methods. If you want to keep the eel for any length of time you will need a larger tank that actually might be your best bet is just upgrade to a larger tank. Something with a four foot footprint.

You weren't getting good information from the LFS.Like Ryan said,you really need to start over.According to FAMA,freshwater and saltwater has different strands of nitrifying bacteria.The freshwater bacteria will not survive or become saltwater nitrifying bacteria.

Is the gravel saltwater safe?
Many freshwater gravel is not safe for saltwater aquaria.Don't forget some plastic plants aren't safe as well.

Oh god, you got some BAD information that has cost you time and money!

Freak is right, no way does it work to just add salt to an existing freshwater setup. Totally different types of bacteria live in freshwater and saltwater tanks.

If I were you, I'd start all over again. Sorry you were misled. I would NOT trust that fish store again with any sort of saltwater advice.

If you are going for a fish only tank, live rock and a protein skimmer will be very important. Those are your main sources of filtration. Fish only tanks usually are stocked heavily and are fed heavily, which means lots of waste, which means you need ways to pull that waste from the water. I.E. live rock and a skimmer.

And an eel will likely not survive a cycle, hardly any animals can survive a cycle. It's always best to let the tank cycle FIRST, then add animals only after you are sure the tank is done cycling. And then, add animals very very slowly.

Back