New Frag Tank.

benningtondt

Reefing newb
I had a spare 20gal tank, protein skimmer, and light laying around so I decided to make a frag tank. Im not using any substrate or live rock, just bare bottom and egg crate. I do have a few questions though. How long should I let the water age before I can put corals in it? Does this tank need to cycle? Is a protein skimmer all the filtration I will need if I keep up with water changes? Also if any of you know an eggcrate design that will maximize tank space usage that would be great.

If your not going to be adding any fish I think you'll be ok with out running the skimmer. Weekly water changes should be sufficient. As for waiting, I'm not sure about that, just check your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate daily to see any fluctuations of what might be a cycle. Atleast, that's what I'd do :)

i dont know much about frands but here my 2c's i have seen friends take frags from there main tanks and put then in a 30gal that has step shelf's seems to work nice for him but just do whats best for you. see where it takes you i hope it all works out nicely for you :D

I don't think it would cycle if there's nothing in there to add waste, unless you're adding inverts. Just wondering why no LR? The one problem long term you may have with 0 critters is SPS going hungry...that is if you're doing SPS.

I don't think it would cycle if there's nothing in there to add waste, unless you're adding inverts. Just wondering why no LR? The one problem long term you may have with 0 critters is SPS going hungry...that is if you're doing SPS.

he could use zooplankton by one of many companies to feed the sps. right?

Back