New Friend! Diamond Watchman Goby

wontonflip

I failed Kobayashi Maru
After my ecstatic high of finding my missing 3rd chromis, I can now post about our new friend -- a nice sized Diamond Watchman Goby (I thought it was an orange watchman goby...they're not the same, right?) But I know they take sand in their mouths, and spit them out through their necks (or is it their gills?). I saw it doing that at the lfs. He also eats mysis, so that was a plus! He's drip acclimating right now, so these are the best shots I could get:

DSC05336.jpg

DSC05338.jpg

I can't help but look at those guys and think of tadpoles. Nice Goby. You've been on quite the little shopping spree lately.

It looks great,I think.:12:

That's what she said!

All hail the future carpet surfer!

LOL....driving home w/ him, I was already planning in my head how to close up the gaps on the lid :) I'll have to buy a screen, I guess, to put over the eggcrates to really close it up.

I can't help but look at those guys and think of tadpoles. Nice Goby. You've been on quite the little shopping spree lately.

Not really....just the 3 chromis 3 weeks ago, one LED test bulb, this goby, and a new nitrate test kit.

The good thing about posting this so soon is that I can keep track of how long the goby's been drip-acclimating...which is 40 min so far LOL.

Thanks AG...my hubby fell in love with this goby a month ago when he watched one sift through the substrate at the fish store. Since they had no foxfaces or hippo tangs in stock today, we just decided to get this li'l guy instead. Can't wait to see him in action!

I'm about to add my second one! If you haven't got a steady established pod population, you may want to target feed the little fella, just to keep him fat and healthy. Its best to feed the rest of your tank first, then use a turkey baster to squirt a little right near his home, after he's made one, of course.

Also, if you haven't got a lot of empty crab shells, you may want to ask your LFS for a few. This little fishy likes to shore up the outer walls of his house with shells and bits of rock and rubble and will often dig up a piece from the sand and tote it all the way back to his burrow. Sometimes he won't check if the shell is empty or not! *L*

I'm about to add my second one! If you haven't got a steady established pod population, you may want to target feed the little fella, just to keep him fat and healthy. Its best to feed the rest of your tank first, then use a turkey baster to squirt a little right near his home, after he's made one, of course.

Also, if you haven't got a lot of empty crab shells, you may want to ask your LFS for a few. This little fishy likes to shore up the outer walls of his house with shells and bits of rock and rubble and will often dig up a piece from the sand and tote it all the way back to his burrow. Sometimes he won't check if the shell is empty or not! *L*

Ohh that's funny :) Yeah, lots of shells in the tank, but I could get more. I have some from VA Beach that I got last summer...just haven't boiled them yet.

Good idea about spot feeding him. He was eating mysis and even the pellets at the LFS, so hopefully he'll keep doing that here. I have a refugium with a ton of pods (leftover from when I had it in the 45g), so hopefully there are some that's made it to the dt by now. If not, I'll turkey baste some and dump some by the rocks.

Thanks...this guy is by far the EASIEST fish I ever caught on film. I just spent lots of time recording his movements since putting him in. He's NOT shy at all. Hubby and I have got our faces pressed against the glass, and he's just doing his thing.

Ok, I've been having fun tracking its movements. Got some footage of the 3 chromis hovering curiously above him trying to see what he was doing, and he just sort of stops what he's doing, and opens his mouth really wide at them, as if to say "What do you want?? Go away!" Hehehe.

What exactly are these gobies doing when they're sand sifting? Are they eating the detritus? Or just picking leftover food that's on the sandbed? He ate mysis at the lfs, but last night, after he finished digging out his cave, he holed himself up for the rest of the night, and stayed in there even during feeding time.

Back