New from Indiana

Copland

Reefing newb
Hi everybody just wanted to introduce myself and get to know everyone. This is actually out of my element due to the fact that I'm a koi ponder and not actually into saltwater (yet). But I was in the local store the other day and I seen some amazing fish and I figured that my 3000 gal pond was going good maybe it was time to start something up new inside. So I purchased a 38 gallon bowfront for the house. I haven't done anything besides scrape the tag off of it so far. As far as ponds go I can tell you anything, but for saltwater I need help and lots of it. I find Forums to be the best way to gain knowledge. So any and all help would be appreciated. I was really trying to get a grasp on how much it will cost to do an intial setup on my saltwater tank. I like to take things slow and build things up. My pond took me 3 years to get right and now it's time to expand it. Basically what I need is the who what when where's and whys of saltwater. I plan on having a small reef tank with some incredibly vibrant fish. So any ideas and suggestions are welcome. Again thank you for your help.

First of all,Welcome to the reef.You'll find that everybody here is willing to answer any and all questions you may have.
Since your thinking about a reef here are a few basic needs other than the tank and stand.
You'll need a good light.You have 3 choices to make here.:
Power Compacts are at the bottom of the list for a reef.
T-5 lights.You cant really use the watts per gallon rule with these.There the middle of the road as far as price and you can keep most any thing under them.
Then theres metal halides.These are expensive,produce a lot of heat,but you can keep any and all corals under them.
You'll also want 1 to 2 pounds of live rock per gallon of tank size.This is the most inportant part of a reef tanks filtration.
Get your self a good quality protien skimmer.
This is just to start.Im sure others will jump in and help out to.

Hello and welcome! I'd start by checking out the "Helpful Articles" up top. There are a few that are perfect for answering the basic questions when you're starting a new tank. Be prepared to spend the most money on lights, out of all the equipment you will have to buy for now.

i AM GLAD YOU HAVE FOUND US AND HOPE YOUR TIME HERE IS INFORMATIVE, FUN, AND A PLACE YOU WANT TO FREQUENT OFTEN. CONGRATULATIONS ON SELECTING THE MARINE PART OF THE HOBBY AS A NEW PROJECT.

hello and welcome. i would say that the lighting and live rock is the most expensive part of the initial set up. once you get that up and running you will get addicted, and spend tons of money on other things too. just like the rest of us! :)

Back