New from Orlando, FL

ChrisDunson82

Reefing newb
Hello All!

I just wanted to introduce myself, my name is Chris and I am currently in the Army Officer stationed in GA about to separate from the Army and relocate back to Orlando. Because of this shift it will allow me the time and means to start an interest I have always had. I am interested in starting with a Nano Aquarium that will be my first ever Saltwater Aquarium. All advice and recommendations are appreciated.

I look forward to hearing from everyone on here and enjoy what seems to be a great bit of fun.

Chris

Hello and welcome to the site...glad to have you. Also, thank you for your services. The smaller the tank, the more difficult it can be for a new enthusiast, the larger the water volume, the more stable the levels will be. IMO, a 55 or 75gal will be ideal to start off with if you can. :)

Welcome to the reef Chris.
Smitty's right about the nanos.It might be better to cut your teeth on something a little bit bigger and more stable.
You'll end up going bigger anyhow.:D

I started with a nano and that's what I've got now. I'm pro-nano. :D A lot of time it's not the money that hinders from bigger tanks, but the space. If you have the time, you can do a nano. Good luck!

Welcome! I started with a 14 gallon nano, now I have a 46 gallon, and I dream of one day having something bigger. I won't discourage the nano because they can be pretty awesome in the sense that they are small, compact, cheaper, and just kinda cool in general; however, it does seem that this hobby comes with a tendency to wish to go bigger...

Welcome! I work at the Army too. When I am in Florida I am always able to find, if I look around, some rock quarrys with some great rock that I can use on my tank., I have saved hundreds doing this. I once got some rock at a quarry in the FL Keys and the Keys are made almost entirely form dead coral skeletons. The quarrys are something to see. I say get a 29G tank!

check this out:

https://www.livingreefs.com/3-great-articles-every-newb-should-read-t26698.html

Welcome to the site and thanks for the service! :mrgreen: I'm also new to the hobby and started off with a 29G Biocube HQI. I do wish I had a bigger tank but I like the fact that with AIO (all in ones) I don't have to deal with any electrical, carpentry, or plumbing work. Feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Thank you for all of the hellos!

I have been doing a lot of researching lately (to the point my wife thinks I'm obsessed haha) and because of space I have decided to go with a 29G tank. In the future I plan on going bigger but as of right now I have to go with what I can get away with.

I will be asking a lot of questions on here but right now I am in the beginning stages with researching equipment. I am trying to keep it under a reasonable amount so the wife doesn't get too freaked out about the new hobby. All suggestions for equipment on a 29 Gallon set up would be much appreciated.

Chris

Back