New Guy Here

Breed

Reefing newb
Hello Everyone, my name is Brandon and I wanted to say hello. Im super excited about getting my 72Gal Reef tank together. I must say everyone at the aquariums around were i live always have different ideas of how they think a reef tank is suppose to run. I just wish i could get some Good accurate information from people that know what there doing. And thats why im here, a friend told me about this site and that you guys/gals help each other out all the time.

I currently have a really bad Brown algae issue, i wish i could post a picture. The live rock i just got has turned kinda white with brown algae hair all over it.

Welcome aboard Breed, I wouldn't worry too much about your brown algae, it's all part of breaking in the system...there's more to come!

brown algae will go away if you get rid of silicates. A nice product I found was the Sera Marin Silicate Clear. I just put it in my canister filter and noticed a diminished amount of brown algae. Then I added a Phos-ban reactor from Two Little Fishies and my algae is much demented.

welcome to the forum!

There are so many different sources of information on what is the "right way" to do it. Just remember that what works for one person may not always work for you. Sometimes you will get completely opposite information from different credible sources. My reccomendation is to get advice and opinions from many different sources and take everything with a grain of salt!

Welcome to the reef.
Even here,you'll get different ideas on stuff.Every tank is different and what works great for one,may not work at all in another.

Wow, Thanks alot everyone, I really appreciate your helpful replies. Ok so Brown is a normal ongoing thing then. Im going to look into what Altohombre
suggested about the Sera Marin Silicate Clear. some people have said that a good amount of clean up Crew will help. Also is there a reason why my live rock is turning white?

Thanks everyone.

Hi and welcome!

Your rock is turning white because you are cycling your tank. The same reason why you have algae. Algae and live rock die offs are normal during and after a cycle.

A cleaner crew really won't help with diatoms (brown algae), and you shouldn't add them anyways until your cycle is complete (ammonia and nitrites both at 0).

Ok I see, I was told that I should take these test Magnesium, Calcium, and Alkalinity. i got the testers for all 3 but i did not get any additive produces for the 3 yet. What do u guys think?

O yeah someone told me that I should take out my Bio Balls from my Sump because im doing a Reef tank, is that right?

Im working on getting more Live Rock so thats why I don't have much in there.

I know im so embarrassed to even post a picture, looks like HELL.

Attachments

• Reef.jpg
    Reef.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 294
Last edited:
Definitely doesn't look like hell.The brown algae is something we all go through during and right after a cycle.If your plan is to have over 1-2lbs per gallon of live rock than do away with the bioballs.The live rock will be your main biological filter.You could also surmerge live rock rubble in your sump instead of the bioballs.BTW,it's good you have those three test kits but they are not needed til closer to the time you add corals.In most cases you won't even need to dose any of them,generally water changes will replenish those elements unless you go heavy on SPS corals.

Good luck and welcome.

Alkalinity is a good test to have, and will be important even if you have fish only. Calcium will be important when you get corals, and magnesium... Well, I've never tested for magnesium. You won't need to buy any additives unless your tests tell you that the tank is deficient in something.

The bioballs have the potential to create bad nitrate problems. If you clean them thoroughly every week, that chance is lessened, but who has the time to clean them that often?

If you have 1 to 2 lbs of live rock per gallon, you will not need bioballs.

OK I took out the Bio Balls and put a few small pieces of live rock down there. I was wondering its kinda loud, anything I could do for that? Do you guys have pictures of how it should look?

Sure wish someone on here was local.

Attachments

• Sump.jpg
    Sump.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 272
welcome to the forum. don't worry about posting pics even if your situation is out of control and lookin terrible. as long as your making the effort to fix it there is nothing to he ashamed about. its all a continual learning experience.

You could either put more rubble in there or put poly filter,the cotton looking stuff on top of the rocks to quiet it down.Of course,the poly filter material will need to be changed out weekly so it doesn't become part of the biofilter.

Back