New guy living in Virginia

trueirishfan616

Reefing newb
Hello! My name is Noah, and I'm the new guy. I've been keeping African Cichilds for quite some time and thought it was time to move on to Saltwater. I have a 75 gallon tank that I'm converting over to salt water in the next month. I joined this site to get some advice from some experts. I plan on turning my 75 gallon into a reef tank with a few fish. I'm originally from Indiana, but I now live in Virginia. I'm in the Air Force and have been serving for almost 10 years. Side note: I'm the biggest Notre Dame Football fan in the world...hence the screen name. Just wanted to introduce myself, and I hope to get some great feedback from some good folks on here. I also hope to possibly do some business on here if it's allowed(buying frags and possibly some fish). Thanks for reading.

LOL. Great...another Bama fan...you people are EVERYWHERE! LOL. In all seriousness, thanks for the warm welcome and the thanks. I'm glad to serve.

Side note: Bama football(NOT SEC in general) play an entire degree of football. I've watched SEC football and it didnt impress me at all. However, Bama's team is on a whole other level. It was an eye opener for sure. Congrats to your team. Thanks again.

Thanks a lot! I was just reading through some threads and learning a TON. Apparently...this "saltwater reef tank build" is gonna be REALLY EXPENSIVE! LOL. My wife is gonna love this.

Well apparently you know about "craigslist" that can be a good source to pick up some equipment and livestock when people breakdown their tanks. There is a lot of good used equipment out there that can be picked up at great prices.

Welcome! I grew up in Alexandria (Landmark area). I moved to prince william county area several years ago. But I still go to Alexandria a lot....good eats around Falls Church area ;)

I haven't been to that new fish store on Pickett street (Pristine Aquarium), but my brother wasn't impressed. If you want a really really good reputable LFS, go to MarineScene in Herndon, VA.

Thanks to everyone! Wontonflip, Pristine in the only LFS I've been to. I love that place...because it's the only place around here. LOL. I have some VERY nice adult cichlids(giraffes, bumblebee's, etc.) and the owner offered me a 30 dollar store credit for ALL 16 of em! THEY SELL THEY"RE BABIES FOR 8 BUCKS A PIECE!!! That really irritated me because I buy ALL of my fish needs from them. I stop in there twice a week for my fish needs, and he offers me some nonsense like that. I appreciate you mentioning the place in Herndon. I'll have to check that place out.

MarineScene in Herndon is ONLY saltwater. Their prices are not cheap, BUT it's because they sell quality healthy fish. I have NEVER gotten a fish from them that was unhealthy. All their fish as so vibrant and healthy and happy, and all have eaten from day one. I've bought maybe 6 fish from them. I'm not sure if he's still there, but one of the people here in this forum works there ;) Don't hesitate to ask them to feed the fish in front of you....they will do it!

http://marinescene.com

Back