New Hawaiian Black Triggerfish

gianluca1970

Reefing newb
I just bought a large Hawaiian Black Triggerfish. It is about 8 inches. He seems really healthy but seems to just hide among the rocks. He lays at the bottom between the rocks with just his head noticeable so he can see what swims by. He has barely moved from this spot since putting him in the tank. Is this normal behavior? I have a much smaller Humu Humu trigger who swims all over the place and basically ignores the new guy. This is the first trigger I have ever had that has hidden for this long after introducing him into a new tank. Has anyone else ever had one of these Hawaiian Black Triggerfish? If so, should I expect him to become a little more active eventually?

Normal for a trigger. When stressed they will find a cave and "lock" into a hole with their fins until they feel safe enough to come out. Triggers are tough. Give it a little while longer and then feed. It will come out most likely.

Thanks for your reply. The only reason i even asked is because this is the first trigger that I have ever had that seemed this shy. All my other triggers have always started exploring the tank as soon as they were added. Maybe the Hawaiian Black Triggerfish are more shy at first. He is the biggest fish in my tank so i guess I was just expecting him to be a little more bold than what he has been so far. Granted, I just added him so he hasn't even had a full day in his new tank. He looks really healthy and strong so maybe it will just take a little more time.

Back