new help and advice for new aquarium

drgrok

Reefing newb
Have gotten a new aquarium. first time user. I'm concerned with my testing readings after 6 days.

followed the advice of my local store:

a) bought the RO, salt, live sand, and live rock with appropriate amounts
b) came home, mixed tank of water, salt. let heat overnight. by morning, temp was 77 and spec gravity was right.
c) placed live sand in and let settle. added live rock.
d) on day 2, had ammonia in the 0.25 to 0.5 PPM range.
e) now on day 6, I have readings of zero for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate.
f) ph was off on day 2 (7.5), added a little buffering solution. pH was 8.2 since.

concerned that somehow I killed all the micros by having the live rock sit in plastic overnight.

advice on what to do? do I have a problem? or am I not patient enough.

thank you.

The spike in ammonia is normal. It was probably die off from the live rock. I've had it no matter how "fresh" the live rock is when you add it to a new tank.

Ph tends to be low in the morning after the lights have been off for a while. I have never seen it that low, but I have seen it drop to 7.8 in the morning. I believe it has something to do with photosynthesis (please someone with more experience correct me if I am wrong). I don't know the exact chemesty on how it works. One way around that is to add a refuge and run an opposite light cycle in the fuge. Your Alk levels can also effect Ph. You can test for that as well. Again, I don't know the chemestry behind it, but there is a lot of info on the matter.

Odd about zero nitrates. I have never been able to get my nitrates down to zero. Very close but there is always something there, but your tank is pretty fresh.

I think you are ok. It's still probably too early to add any live stock, just keep monitoring your water parameters. Be patient and things should stabilize.

Good luck

thanks.

how high, in ppm, is this ammonia "spike" that I keep reading about

btw, tank is only 6 days old. haven't put anything in yet

Back