New here but have been "fishing" a while now

Scaly

Reefing newb
Hello all,
Great to be here, after nearly 20 years out of the hobby... I'm back.

I found a deal I couldn't refuse on a 120 + stand. It's a home built stand but done by someone who absolutely knew what they were doing. I put a drafting square on the joints and cuts and the are all perfectly square. All 2 X 6 (some 2 X 4 used as doublers) well thought out design and stainless wood screw/ construction adhesive throughout.

That's the good news. The bad news is a crack in the lower frame midway between the center brace and end of the tank. I think I've emailed or phoned everyone one in the western world trying to find a replacement frame. No dice.

The dimensions are 48" X 24" X 24".

So I'm fresh out of ideas except one...repairing the old frame. I'm not squeamish about removing the frame ( done it before) but I'm uncertain about a repair that would hold. I'm not big on "miracle" glues & adhesives.
However, I've read in more than place that a lot of these frames are polyvinyl chloride. If that's true, I'd nearly bet my life on PVC chemical weld. Ever try to disconnect a cemented PVC joint ?
Anyone have any repair suggestions or know where I can come up with a 48 X 24 ? I've found several places selling 48 X 18 but nothing in 24 ". Anyone ? A little help ?

Well, my first post and I'm already rambling. I'm just chomping at the bit to get my tank up and running. I'm sure I'll have plenty to read and post in the future.
Regards,
Mike

I would sister the cracked pieces with some new stuff.
Hello all,
Great to be here, after nearly 20 years out of the hobby... I'm back.

I found a deal I couldn't refuse on a 120 + stand. It's a home built stand but done by someone who absolutely knew what they were doing. I put a drafting square on the joints and cuts and the are all perfectly square. All 2 X 6 (some 2 X 4 used as doublers) well thought out design and stainless wood screw/ construction adhesive throughout.

That's the good news. The bad news is a crack in the lower frame midway between the center brace and end of the tank. I think I've emailed or phoned everyone one in the western world trying to find a replacement frame. No dice.

The dimensions are 48" X 24" X 24".

So I'm fresh out of ideas except one...repairing the old frame. I'm not squeamish about removing the frame ( done it before) but I'm uncertain about a repair that would hold. I'm not big on "miracle" glues & adhesives.
However, I've read in more than place that a lot of these frames are polyvinyl chloride. If that's true, I'd nearly bet my life on PVC chemical weld. Ever try to disconnect a cemented PVC joint ?
Anyone have any repair suggestions or know where I can come up with a 48 X 24 ? I've found several places selling 48 X 18 but nothing in 24 ". Anyone ? A little help ?

Well, my first post and I'm already rambling. I'm just chomping at the bit to get my tank up and running. I'm sure I'll have plenty to read and post in the future.
Regards,
Mike
w

I just received an e-mail from a guy who owns a huge independent FS in the San Francisco Bay area. He's been in business for nearly thirty years. Also a distributor for several top-shelf tank manufacturers.

I'll pass on what he told me, some of which contradicts a few opinions but is generally accepted by most......
He said tank frames are most certainly not structural. They protect the edges from chipping, keep your hands safe from cuts but otherwise are strictly ornamental. He went on to say that in anything over 50 gal, the silicone is the structural component and that a tank would "blow-out" with or without frames if a purpose-made industrial silicone is not used.

Nuff said, I believe this guy. If for nothing else then for his experience alone. He added that if I felt better patching it with PVC strap stock and joint weld....go for it but it wouldn't make any difference.
In short, it will hold.regardless.

Not sure I would believe that. The silicone can separate from a smooth glass surface quite easily. I too am in the Bay Area and wonder who you talked to. Standard 120 gallon tanks are still made, and the top frame with cross member is easily obtainable from any LFS that orders tanks.

fastrd400....

What I'm running up against is finding a frame that is 24" deep. I can find 48 x 18 all day long but nowhere (so far) am I finding 48 x 24.
My LFS does not have a 48 x 24, neither does the other top 10 phone numbers on the list.

If you know of a supplier that has a pair of 48 x 24 frames..I'll break out the credit card immediately. Thanks !

Well, problem solved. (BTW, glass cages only offers frames up to 90 gal)

Anyway, I was at my LFS, Tropical Haven, Modesto, CA and they made me an offer I couldn't refuse. Brand new shiny 120 gallon for 299.00. Done and done. I can't wait. Oh and got an awesome deal on a Fluval FX 6 for 299.00 also. Roughly 30 bucks less than what I could find anywhere else. (That went on store layaway, 3 hun is more than I want to spend this month)

I love that place. They're a mom & pop store that's been in biz since 1977 and at the same location.

Soooooo, now I won't be sleeping with one eye open wondering if frames are structural or ornamental. Yay !

Back