New here, but not as new to Saltwater fish...

LoneGreyWolf20

Reefing newb
I for a time had a saltwater fish tank, but circumstances of life made me stop the hobby. Now, almost 5 years out, I am coming back into it. Since I have been out of it for 5 years, I was wondering if there has been any advancements on the lighting front.

I am looking to start up another salt tank. It will be mostly fish, but am looking to get a carpet anemone. The tank will be a 55 gallon aquarium, probably with a Eheim wet/dry filter.

I have had a carpet anemone before, but not the greatest of lighting. I had it in a 46 gallon bow front with an actinic blue and 10k light bulbs. It lived, but not as I would think that it would. I am unable to get into metal halide and the like as it's rather expensive. This is what I am looking at getting:

Aquarium | Compact Fluorescent | Lunar Aqualight - Double - 48 in. - ES0905 - ThatPetPlace.com

Would this be good enough for a carpet anenome?

Also if you want to go t5 I know these will be enough. I been to this guys house when he had his tank set up and it was nice. In the tank he had 1 clam 2 anemones and several other corals all doing fine in this light.

eBay

bobby said:
I would say no, for anemones you need atleast 6 watt per gal. This light is only alittle over four wpg. If your wanting metal halides but cant afford them check ebay for used ones or a retro fit kit you could get a retro for a litlle over 100.00. Here is a link if your a diy person for making a m/h light and it cost about 100.00 for everything.
http://www.aquarium.union.rpi.edu/articles/DIY_MH.html

Not really a DIY type of person. Somethings I can, but this looks a little rough for me.

I will check into Ebay.

bobby said:
Also if you want to go t5 I know these will be enough. I been to this guys house when he had his tank set up and it was nice. In the tank he had 1 clam 2 anemones and several other corals all doing fine in this light.

eBay

Okay, I looked into the t5's.

I'm guessing that the 48" one that's $199 would also be too small.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=12772&N=2004+113175

The next one is $400 and above my price range. I have to think about everything else that I need. I have the tank, but I need a stand, the glass to put under the light, the filter, salt, rock, and the sand.

I realize that this is an expensive hobby, but I am trying to save as much money as I possibly can.

Yes thats the same ones I was talking about. They will be good. On t5s you cant go buy the wpg becuase they give off more light. That guy I was talking about, his are 216 watts and he was keeping 2 anemones and 1 clam and several other corals in a 55.

I dont blame you on trying to save money, this hobby is very expensive. If your wanting to buy the lights now the ones on ebay only have 3 hours left, there 4 months old and the price is at 135.00. If intrested go to the fish page click time ending soonest and ther right there on the first page. I was wanting to buy these for my 55 when I start it but my job is closing so I need to save my money right now. If you want brand new then the ones a drfostersmith will be fine.

Okay, thank you all for your responses.

We're going to go with the Nova Extreme for our lighting.

My next question is, is that all the lights I need then? I notice it says, "The integrated Moon White Lunar Lights cast a crisp moon glow for optimum nocturnal simulation, providing the perfect environment for nocturnal viewing, as well as creating rhythmic moon luminance for increased spawning and reproduction." Does this mean that there are two lights for daytime and two for night? I'm guessing this is what they mean by 24 hour lighting fixture (just had to think of it for a few minutes).

Here's another question and this may sound idiotic, but it's something that is nagging me.

When I had my other tank, we had the anemone, we also had a Porcupine Puffer. He was actually really good around everything. He never harassed the other fish or the anemone. My wife would like another one as it's her favorite fish. Will the lights be too bright for it? Or will it be ok?

I also would like to thank you for not being condescending in your answers. I remember back before I left the hobby, there were many people that would rip you apart for wanting to save money. Here, I feel better about asking questions!

That's the one I have... But I paid a lot more of course! That's a really good deal in my opinion.

In response to your questions about the bulbs, it has 4 T5 (daytime) bulbs total, consisting of 2 actinics and 2 10K bulbs. The moonlights are 4 LED lights that are built in between the T5 bulbs. They stay on all the time, you just don't see them in the daytime.

Last edited:
Bifferwine said:
That's the one I have... But I paid a lot more of course! That's a really good deal in my opinion.

In response to your questions about the bulbs, it has 4 T5 (daytime) bulbs total, consisting of 2 actinics and 2 10K bulbs. The moonlights are 4 LED lights that are built in between the T5 bulbs. They stay on all the time, you just don't see them in the daytime.

Okay, that makes sense then. I just wasn't sure... lol.

No problem. I like them, they've been good in my tank so far (and I had an anemone for a long time before it got killed by something else).

Back